PDA

View Full Version : Rear shocks';'

Tom
11-19-2010, 10:49 AM
On my 09 flh I had the stock air shocks. now I have the lower flhx shocks. tryed many air settings. I hit bumps / brick to asphalt changes its a wham to my butt. suggestions on settings or get the CVO shocks w/ adjustment on the one side via, a knob.. just me ridding bags full. I weigh 185 lbs. & moderate wt in tourpack..';;'

Hobbit
11-19-2010, 10:54 AM
i run mine at softer than it reccommends currently 30psi and its like a carpet but you will still get a clunk on the big hits, and if i run them harder i still get the big clunk but a harsh ride :(, its because there lower than the stockers
you will get the same with the coil shocks as its the height that cause the bottoming out.

Tom
11-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Hobbit have u had experance w/ the h/d shocks. they may come on CVOs w/ knob on one side there like 450. bucks in cataloge;'

Jaystronghawk
11-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Am checking out the Proggresive 940 Shocks but definitely going to get some more feedback on them before taking the plunge at what they cost ...

Bagger
11-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Honestly Tom, the stock FLHX shocks are junk.I love my streetglide but Progresive rear shocks are high up on my wish list.

Hobbit
11-19-2010, 05:45 PM
tom i have had no experience with those shocks i did looks at them but for half the money they cost i could have 2 complete custom sets made, or even fit a legend air ride

Tom
11-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Yep & i bought them to help me be more flat footed while stooped. I may put my stock back on w/ i get my seat back from MCC.

Bagger
11-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Let us know how the seat go's.Hey, now that you got the picture taking down post up a pic when you get it back with your thoughts.Congrats on getting the pic's down ultrat.

Tom
11-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Oh its not down. its shear luck';';

RumRunner
11-19-2010, 07:55 PM
I'd like to know how it goes putting the stock ones back on too Tom. I changed my stock out for the low before I even picked the bike up, so I don't know how it handled with stock. And I only got a very small amount of height back out of the low, so I may put the stock back on too. But I changed front and rear, not sure how it would work with just putting the rear back on.

Bagger
11-19-2010, 08:06 PM
I'd like to know how it goes putting the stock ones back on too Tom. I changed my stock out for the low before I even picked the bike up, so I don't know how it handled with stock. And I only got a very small amount of height back out of the low, so I may put the stock back on too. But I changed front and rear, not sure how it would work with just putting the rear back on.

Rum, put it back to the stock set up and you'll be much happier with the slow speed handling.For the record, if anyone wants to swap there ultra shocks for FLHX shocks, give me a shout lol.

RumRunner
11-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Rum, put it back to the stock set up and you'll be much happier with the slow speed handling.For the record, if anyone wants to swap there ultra shocks for FLHX shocks, give me a shout lol.

Yeah I think it's coming to that... Problem was that when I bought it I could not touch flat foot on both sides and really wanted to be able to for safety reasons. But after I got the LOW seat, it may be ok. on the other hand, if I'm going to go through the trouble of changing shocks, I may want to look at what aftermarket ones will do for me.... of course I already have the stock ones, so there would be no extra cost.... man I hate decisions....

smitty901
11-19-2010, 08:25 PM
Once again lowering seat may not be the right way to go.
You can gain far more inseam by narrowing the front of the seat than by lowering. when you stop you slip forward a bit any way and have plenty of footing.
You need to take a good bit out of the height to get any real gain in foot, but a little narrowing in the front will gain you a lot and it will not effect riding comfort.
The wider your seat the more it pushes your legs apart bring the legs closer you will touch the ground sooner.

Tom
11-19-2010, 08:28 PM
I wonder if the shocks h/d sells the black ones w/ the knob on the one shock. I hear that they come on the cvo bikes are worth the investament';' I just want to stop my butt from getting hammered.';

RumRunner
11-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Once again lowering seat may not be the right way to go.
You can gain far more inseam by narrowing the front of the seat than by lowering. when you stop you slip forward a bit any way and have plenty of footing.
You need to take a good bit out of the height to get any real gain in foot, but a little narrowing in the front will gain you a lot and it will not effect riding comfort.
The wider your seat the more it pushes your legs apart bring the legs closer you will touch the ground sooner.

From what I understand, that is how the LOW seat gets the majority of it's lowered height at a stop, it is considerably narrower than the regular seat, especially in the front. Although it also uses a lower pan to begin with.

Tom
11-20-2010, 08:09 AM
There narrowing it too...

fisherman124
11-20-2010, 11:55 AM
i have the air ride seat it puts u up a bit but worth the ride comfort go on a ride for 90 minutes every one is bitching bout sore asses not me