PDA

View Full Version : Paint question

smitty901
08-13-2015, 04:48 PM
I know knowing about paint. After 20 years there are a few nicks and rub marks on the frame of my FB.
What type of paint is used. Is it enamel or lacquer based paint?
I sand one area and primed it and it came out prefect now I need to hit it with some gloss black.

santajim
08-14-2015, 07:30 AM
Top I don't think they have used much lacquer paint in years but could be wrong, If you are rattle canning it with a gloss black it shouldn't matter much but if you want to go with a HD color I would go to colorrite.com they mix HD colors and I have used them a couple of times now with great results.Earlier this year when I was changing handlebars I dropped the fairing on my front fender and dented it and chipped the paint so I went to them and bought a rattle can kit with the base colors and top coat colors and clear coat all in rattlecans. They were a spot on match for the two colors of my fender so I recommend them highly.

smitty901
08-14-2015, 08:52 PM
Thanks I am betting a gloss black rattle can should match the frame pretty well.

Joel
08-14-2015, 09:46 PM
I would recommend to use a gloss black engine paint or rustolium. Both work well with what we do when we replace engines, seems to hold up to the elements under the hood.