PDA

View Full Version : What to get my fork legs powder coated gloss black

Admiral
03-19-2011, 06:03 PM
What work is involved? Obviously I will remove the wheel and forks but do the forks have to be dismantled?

Hobbit
03-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Yes Kev you have to change the seals and the chrome caps as the sliders have to come off as 2 seperate pieces - unless your powder coater is a really really really good one i would reccommend against it - i had mine done and all round the tops by the chrome cpas flaked off as ihad not been blasted properly and water got under :(

Admiral
03-21-2011, 05:40 AM
Best to leave alone then? How much trouble is it to strip and rebuild them?

Jaystronghawk
03-21-2011, 06:15 AM
I guess it's Important to have them done by a Good one that does this stuff only.. While only had my Bike a little over 13 months Had the Legs and Cans Powdercoated Gloss Black and Painted the Inner Fairing as well and both look like was done yesterday ... But Rob is spot on after the work involved..

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss223/Jaystronghawk_album/ZZZUltraBlack007.jpg

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss223/Jaystronghawk_album/ZZZUltraBlack01003.jpg

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss223/Jaystronghawk_album/ZZYXTubeswSeat001-1.jpg

Hobbit
03-21-2011, 07:12 AM
i did not do the Dyna the dealer did but having done fork seals the hardest part is removing the caps as once off you do not reuse them you need new ones unless your carefull.
Sliders unbolt from the bottom and then slide off, remove the rubber top seals - more than likey destroy these as well :( so that 4 new bits top seals and caps :(, drain oil (remember measure and write down how much comes out or have manual handy :D) then rebuilding is the opposite be careful putting sliders back on that you dont dislodge bearings inside the legs.

remember as well you will need the bike a way up in the air on a lift to get the sliders off - by pushing the legs as far thru the yokes as possible to give you clearance to get them off, then there is the issue of leveling the legs after :D

Big Dan
04-20-2011, 06:45 PM
I powder coated everything black 3 or 4 years ago, and it all still looks great. I used a professional coater where coating is his only business. He also rides, which helped a lot. He knew what the parts were, and where they needed to be coated or not coated.

smitty901
04-20-2011, 06:58 PM
One of those mods if you really want it then the end products is worth the work.
Put new seals and bushing in while it is down they are cheap new oil and ride for another 50K with no worries and some cool looking forks.

Admiral
04-21-2011, 04:33 PM
I need to find a better powder coater. I ended up chipping off all the PC off the engine bars and rattle canning them gloss black. No where near as good a finish but at least they aren't rippled or chipping.

Hobbit
04-21-2011, 04:34 PM
thats not good :( in fact i would have taken them back, most issues with powder coating is poor prep and cleaning

Roy
04-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Hes right its all in the prep.