PDA

View Full Version : Paint Codes---anybody have them for Crimson Red Sunglo & any tips or things to watch.

ghostrider2000
03-22-2011, 11:58 PM
I was just wondering if anybody has the paint codes for Crimson Red Sunglo for both Harley and PPG. I have a couple of codes that I have hunted for on other sites but even they seem to have conflicting stories... I know the paint has a basecoat and a topcoat...The two codes I have (PPG) are 918333 and 918333/2. The 3rd coat is just clear.

For the Harley codes I have 98609ZQ (base) (luxury rich Red) and 98609cty (top) (crimson red). Activator is 99825-02 and the Primer is 98603-A...

Also wondering what color the primer is...Would think it would be white under red but then I would never think the top and base would be similar reds.

As an added resource, I believe Colorrite codes are 6400 for the topcoat and 1400 for the base...

Can anybody confirm these or clarify the procedures used to put a coat down that will closely match what I have. Thanks.

Bagger
03-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Ghost, I can help you with the PPG info.The PPG codes for 2008 Crimson Sunglow are as follows.
Red base 918333
Pearl top coat 918333-2

The red base calls for a G-7 or black sealer for best coverage.PPg has many different paint lines, DBC,DBU, Essentials etc..These codes are for there DBC product line which I preffer.The reduction of this paint is 1 to 1.So if you bought a pint of paint it would reduce out to a sprayable quart.The reducers I use with DBC are DT870 (fast drying) or DT885 (slow drying for hot weather days).

The primer of choice for ppg is NCP271 reduced 3 to 1 with NCX 275 hardener.The clear of choice from ppg would be 2021 reduced 3 to 1 with dcx61 hardene then add 10% dt 870 or 885 reducer for better flow.

Because the primer is grey and you need black to start, rather than purchasing an entire sealer kit, I would simply purchase a pint of straight black 1683 in DBC and paint everything black to start.These base coats are designed to work together so using the black 1683 will work just fine.

As for testing the color, do a test panel.Paint it black, minimum 4 coats of red base, 2 coats of pearl and clear it.This will give you a base line of where you are at.Take note of what air preasure you are using and what happens to the color with each coat of pearl?Does it get lighter, darker etc.

ghostrider2000
03-25-2011, 12:24 AM
Thanks bagger...Just the type of info I am looking for...I have a friend that is related to a bigwig at Harley and the info he gave me is really conflicting...Doesn't even include a crimson red as the top or base so what would that color go to...Which is what is creating this confusion...But the details you have given me are great and that is what I will go with...thanks again and I will let you know how it turns out...Doing a new fender and chin spoiler...Can't wait to see how they turn out.

This is the info I got from a high exec at Harley....This is believable but since there is a crimson red paint, it really makes me doubt this combo...Here goes.. Plus no HD codes...
Ok, your paint is a dark red metallic base coat then a candy red pearl top coat then a clear.

Bagger
03-25-2011, 12:34 AM
PM me if you need any help Ghost, keep us posted on how they turn out.:ChopperEmo:

ghostrider2000
06-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Well I don't have it painted yet but finally went out and bought everything I needed and now that I have I almost wish I would have bought the parts painted to begin with....I couldn't believe how much the paint cost(got quarts) and between the clear, paint, reducers, etc. the cost was way up there. Oh well, live and learn but it should be very interesting to see how it turns out... I will tackle this hopefully sometime this week and take some pictures of the process. My intent is to paint the new fender and chin spoiler using the old fender as the match...Then since the old fender has the chip, I will just paint that and then maybe try and sell it to get some of the cost recouped. Oh Bagger, just out of couriosity, the back of the clear says to reduce 4-1 and you said 3-1...Anything I should look for here? Again, thanks for the info and the codes were correct for those others that are looking. By the way, anybody have the rootbeer codes?

Bagger
06-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Curious ghost, you said you bought quarts.A quart will paint your entire bike.The main purpose of going with ppg is it allows you to buy pints or even 1/2 pints thus saving you a ton of money.A 1/2 pint reduced 1 to 1 in dbc gives you a full sprayable pint.The codes I gave you where ppg codes for that color not harley codes.I got those codes dirrect from my supplier using your year and Crimson red sunglow as the info.There is a Red hot sunglow as well but I believe that color was not available in 2008.If there's ever any doubt I will double check.Unfortunatly red is the most expensive color to buy.

I have used so many versions of clearcoat over the years it is easy to loose track.PPG alone sells clearcoat in the following versions: Omni,Shopline,4000,3000,2002,2042,4010,2021 to name a few and all are reduced differently.The 2021 clear is hands down the best.If you purchased the 2021 you are correct it is 4 to 1.I add a splash of reducer for better flow.

For the root beer color I can get the ppg codes depending on how long the color has been out from my supplier.Just need the specific name of the color and the year.It realy sucks that Harley is so pathetic with hoarding there paint info.The cvo colors you simply can not get except through harley and considering paint has a shelf life good luck with that.They are so anal about it there own dealers don't know what they are selling or how it's reduced.Ever heard of a Harley dealership with there own body shop?Yet these are the guys in charge of answering questions about a product they know nothing about.

Keep us posted on how you make out, and if you have any questions I'll be glad to help if I can.

ghostrider2000
07-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Hey, I finally got myself back on....Had problems when I changed my email address and it looks like I now have the ability to add and edit threads again...(yea)....Anyway, Does anybody have the dark and light candy rootbeer codes...My buddy is looking to get extended bags and figures that we can paint them ourselves. And again, thanks bagger. Your codes were dead on and if notihng else, may be a little nicer than the originals. Looks to be more flake in the ppg codes than Harley's. You can't tell much but the new spoiler and fender turned out Really Really nice. Now I keep thinking about needing a new wheel to put under this thing to make it look even better...Does it ever end (lol)... Oh, now that I have edit abilities again I will post a couple of pictures of the paint job....Fender is still off but the chin spoiler is on. I like the look but I have to admit that FBI is starting to get way over priced....Seems every year they jack up the cost by 10.00 and now an unpainted one is about 159.00. It was only 129.00 a few years back. An awful lot for an existing mold and just a little glass.

Bagger
07-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Ghost, I'd need the year of the bike and the exact name harley used for those colors.Cant get them till after the holiday.

ghostrider2000
07-31-2011, 01:40 PM
Hey Bagger, my buddy has an 09 SG and he says it's light and dark candy rootbeer. I even found a colorrite site that has the color and codes for their paint for this...(see attached). http://www.colorrite.com/product/harley-davidson-dark-candy-rootbeer-2280.cfm So I hope this helps...Would rather go with PPG since the Crimson Red Sunglo codes you gave me worked so well. Anyway, I hope this helps as these do seem to be very allusive.

Bagger
07-31-2011, 03:20 PM
Hey Bagger, my buddy has an 09 SG and he says it's light and dark candy rootbeer. I even found a colorrite site that has the color and codes for their paint for this...(see attached). http://www.colorrite.com/product/harley-davidson-dark-candy-rootbeer-2280.cfm So I hope this helps...Would rather go with PPG since the Crimson Red Sunglo codes you gave me worked so well. Anyway, I hope this helps as these do seem to be very allusive.

The colorrite site has there codes but lists that color as not yet available.See what I can do for ya tomorow when they open up.

Bagger
08-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Here are the paint codes for 09 candy Rootbeer.Both colors are 3 stage and available in dbc only for ppg.

Light candy rootbeer-922703
922703-2

Dark candy rootbeer-923553
923553-2

ghostrider2000
08-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Bagger, your a gentlemen and a scholar. I appreciate this info and my buddy thanks you even before I give him this...He wants to get some extended bags as well as repaint his chin spoiler so now he will be able....Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Here are the paint codes for 09 candy Rootbeer.Both colors are 3 stage and available in dbc only for ppg.

Light candy rootbeer-922703
922703-2

Dark candy rootbeer-923553
923553-2

Bagger
08-13-2011, 12:17 AM
Bagger, your a gentlemen and a scholar. I appreciate this info and my buddy thanks you even before I give him this...He wants to get some extended bags as well as repaint his chin spoiler so now he will be able....Thanks again. Much appreciated.

The good news is you got one under your belt and should have a good bit of material leftover from your ordeal.Dont be afraid to recoupe some of those expenses for your materials from your buddy.Shits expensive and has a shelf life.Remember, only order as much as you need.I can paint a fender with a 1/2 pint.So why buy the quart Harley sells?Ask the distributer what sealer the color calls for.I'm guessing g-7 (black) for both.If thats the case get some 1683 black base.It's just straighjt blk. base 1 to 1 with the 870 or 885 reducer and much cheeper than a sealer kit.

Wheres the picks of your scoot all painted?