PDA

View Full Version : Taking a Survey...PLEASE RESPOND! (Tank Badges)

Embellishment
04-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Folks, I know my brain is wired different...sorry. Don't ask me why but I have always had a facination with the older Harley Davidson tank badges. I like the three dimentional effect, the art, craft, and distinctiveness of them. And more importantly there was a time that the mere tank badge could tell you in some cases the exact year of the machine. Remember with cars, even how you could tell one year from another....(the good ole days).
In addition, the Fuel Tank is a focal point of any machine and for it to be "embellished" with a nice tank badge is truly "icing on the cake".
Now I pose a question to you....Look at the page below that I scanned from the present J&P catalog. Please review these Tank Badges and then cast your vote for the one that you like the best...If you desire you could comment on more than one, or perhaps list your first three favorites in order. 1,2,3 etc. If you desire to comment on WHY you like a certain tank badge the best, I would like to hear that as well.
I am really hoping to get a lot of response on my request... I have a further agenda which I will go into after the survey runs its course. Your participation is deeply appreciated.
Embellishment
PS I did not know what category to post this in, but since a bit of history can come about from focusing on a older tank badge I put it in the History Category.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq269/techtitan/Tank-Badges.jpg

Butch
04-26-2011, 10:39 AM
(1) B, (2) E, and (3) H. They all give you that old nostagic look.

RumRunner
04-26-2011, 10:46 AM
1: A
2: B
3: I

Not really sure why, they just catch my eye. Seeing as all my choices seem to have the same flow from left to right, I'm sure that has something to do with it. Same flow as the tank I suppose.

fisherman124
04-26-2011, 10:51 AM
I i like the best

Hobbit
04-26-2011, 11:08 AM
For me it has to I, followed by B the others are either modern of AMF to me

Embellishment
04-26-2011, 11:32 AM

A. thur J. are pre-AMF for sure, and some of K were pre AMF. (just food for thought) :-) Hence the Lion's Share of all these tank badges are pre-AMF.
EMBee

ultrat
04-26-2011, 11:34 AM
I then F for me '';'

Clint
04-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Hey E... Can't really see the letters on my current monitor, but for me it's the early 60's classic, 3rd set from the left on the top row. I'm assuming that your selection will be going onto the FLHR so you might also factor in how any of these will "land" onto the two tone paint transition. it's a great idea being that your bike already has the nostalgia look.. Maybe you can contact JP, or some other outfit that sells these and ask about their return policy. It would be great if you could just go ahead and remove your old badge and then take your top three choiced and test them out... Or even better, take pics and let us all have a look and offer .02's.

Anyway.......Good luck.... Great idea..

PS: I'm sure this will come up anyway, but I've had good luck with a little blowdryer heat and some 10lb test fishing line to remove the stock badge...

RichardS
04-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Randy, I love the old badges too, but my favorite would depend on which bike it's on. I would pick something different for let's say, an old Sporty than I would for an old FL. And the color of the tins would affect my choice too.

If I had to choose only ONE, I'd go with the "red arrow" looking badge. Real Retro look there! (as well as the others, but that one really trips my trigger!)

clutchglass
04-26-2011, 12:24 PM
My favorite badge isn't depicted. I have (and still am) considered replacing the badge that is on my 09 ultra tank with the traditional Bar abd Shield logo. I've seen them on ebay for a reasonable price. Of the ones you're showing I like I. the most, and then K.

Embellishment
04-26-2011, 12:26 PM
I then F for me '';'

Tom, I knew you were going to do that!!! HAW!
EMBeee

UC Wayne
04-26-2011, 12:29 PM
1) I
2) K
3) J

Embellishment
04-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Randy, I love the old badges too, but my favorite would depend on which bike it's on. I would pick something different for let's say, an old Sporty than I would for an old FL. And the color of the tins would affect my choice too.

If I had to choose only ONE, I'd go with the "red arrow" looking badge. Real Retro look there! (as well as the others, but that one really trips my trigger!)

RS... I am busting a gut to respond, but for reasons already assigned must refrain from deep commenting. I'm honored that my "Godfather", responded...Thanks Pal! :-)
Now let's let the survey take it natural thread course as things do on our beloved site. :-)
EMBeee

Embellishment
04-26-2011, 12:42 PM
My favorite badge isn't depicted. I have (and still am) considered replacing the badge that is on my 09 ultra tank with the traditional Bar abd Shield logo. I've seen them on ebay for a reasonable price. Of the ones you're showing I like I. the most, and then K.

Clutch... you got my curiosity up. Which Badge you referring to? Is it a badge, or a decal? If you can find an image of what you like I'd be interested in seeing it. EMB

Roy
04-26-2011, 02:47 PM
C, E, I, they remine me of old school, i like the look , i didn't want to read the other post until i made my chose, didn't wan't tobe swade, that not right oh well .

2fasteddie
04-26-2011, 03:52 PM
1. A
2. I
3. K

Knuckle, Pan, and Shovel

Admiral
04-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Funny really coz I love the old school badges on my Street Bob

Locke
04-26-2011, 07:38 PM
1. I
2. E
3. J
Just for looks, but would have to see them on my tank!!!!

Bagger
04-26-2011, 07:44 PM
cosign :decision:

dawg
04-26-2011, 07:45 PM
I like H, I, K

smitty901
04-26-2011, 08:09 PM
It would really have to come down to what bike and were it was going
E is the only one I would not have
A,B,H

Mad Dog Jim
04-27-2011, 10:21 AM
B, F, and G - But I preffer NONE. I like the no decal no badge no trim look myself.

Dirt Road Denis
04-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Don't like "L" at all. I think "B" might be my favorite, but all the others are pretty good too and it would depend on whqt kind of scoot and probably the color too.

will2002
04-27-2011, 10:39 AM

A man after my on heart! :) I had the bar and shield on my '86 Classic, and I still like it best of all.

Tbones
04-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Don't like any of them, never have :)...