PDA

View Full Version : What Happens Next?

will2002
12-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Remember the MoCo of 25 years ago? Most of us do. ... Remember the "buyout"?... Remember when they "almost" went bankrupt?... Remember all of the models they have built, and a few they didn't, and a few they shouldn't have?:) Where do you think the "MoCo" will be 25 years from now? .... I haven't a clue!:tape2:

ultrat
12-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Boy you got me on that one......................;';'

Butch
12-13-2011, 02:49 PM
With all the up and coming newbees, out of business.

JoeSomebody
12-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Hopefully bigger, better, and more like the good ol' days. But I doubt it......

Jaystronghawk
12-13-2011, 04:07 PM
At my age will have no clue what they may be doing 25 years from now .. But unless they start showing a little more Loyalty to the US.. Might be sitting on my Last 2 Harleys .. Not that ever plan on getting rid of the FXR4 anyhow.. But if trade the Ultra in for One Last Bike .. Might take a look at the competition ..

Tbones
12-13-2011, 05:35 PM
If things don't get turned around in the country real quick, there won't be a Harley or anything else in this country... And it won't take 25 yrs for this to happen... We as a country don't turn our debt around we are all gunna be in deep kim shee in less than five years....

Jaystronghawk
12-13-2011, 05:48 PM
You are Correct T .. Won't bother with a bunch of politics but time to quit robbing Peter to pay Paul because they are both broke ... :frusty:

will2002
12-13-2011, 05:56 PM
At my age will have no clue what they may be doing 25 years from now .. But unless they start showing a little more Loyalty to the US.. Might be sitting on my Last 2 Harleys .. Not that ever plan on getting rid of the FXR4 anyhow.. But if trade the Ultra in for One Last Bike .. Might take a look at the competition ..

Myself! The China made wheels is a DEAL BUSTER for me. There is just so much I will put up with, and the sob's crossed the line with that little deal! ............Yeah, I know they wern't built in the USA before, but Ausie wheels were way better for me than China's crap!:(

Jaystronghawk
12-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Maybe they will call them Rick Shaw Wheels ... :gunblast:

Doc
12-13-2011, 07:27 PM

I think part of the problem is that the US is not being loyal to HD and its likes...

Jaystronghawk
12-13-2011, 07:39 PM
You have a point Doc .. The EPA and all the other jackasses that hold back Harley from making a machine that don't overheat and sound like a Mini Bike with their phony exhaust is another trek downhill .. Glad was born long enough ago to remember that TV, the First Spaceshot with Alan Shepard, The Corvette Sting Ray were all record breaking happenings..

JackDupp
12-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Myself! The China made wheels is a DEAL BUSTER for me. There is just so much I will put up with, and the sob's crossed the line with that little deal! ............
Will, ya better get used to it. Yesterday I was having a lettuce, cottage
cheese and peaches salad. I thought the peaches looked awfully white and
had no taste so I picked up the container which said "Dole Peaches" and
as I was looking I spied "Made in China." I got my answer. Now to add
misery to the whole thing I went for a York chocolate covered mint and
discovered that damn thing was made in China too. Pretty soon we won't
be able to ride or eat.
J/D

BullyBob
12-14-2011, 02:12 AM
Ok everybody we can be pissed , but what do you do ? We all know that just because this happened we're not going out and sell our hogs and as a matter of fact some of us will still go out and buy new models because if we're not willing to change the situation we will learn to adapt. Sad but true.

ultrat
12-14-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm a man & I can can change if I hafto..!!!

ultrat
12-14-2011, 09:43 AM
From the CEO.......It is the way Harley Davidson Inc’s chief operating officer Matt Levatich describes the company next models during a Reuters Global Manufacturing and Transportation Summit. Levatich said the company may consider manufacturing smaller (does not mean scooter size) and less expensive motorcycles. The least expensive bike Harley-Davidson is currently offering is a Sportster priced at about US $8,000. He reaffirmed that Harley-Davidson strives to attract a much wider array of clients than its current core baby-boomer clientele. And of course he is talking about youngsters, women and minorities both in the US, international and emerging markets (it explains the “more accessible financially and physically” strategy.)

Levatich said that during the last 3 years Harley-Davidson has been somewhat successful in broadening its consumer base to younger, female and minority buyers. In 2010 Harley-Davidson has increased its mix of international sales from 25 percent five years ago to 35 percent, and plans to reach 40 percent of sales in international markets by 2014. He also mentioned that most of the manufacturing will remain in the United States and that the company next step is to shorten its cycle of production from 5 to 3 years. If Harley-Davidson should some day sell a bike that appeals specifically to emerging markets, he said the company would keep its options open on where to build it. But for now, it has no plans to open production plants outside the United States.

santajim
12-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Almost makes me glad that I am on the downside of my life so I won't be here to see what my grandkids are going to have to deal with when they take their turns at the throttle of life.

RumRunner
12-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Well keeping feelings of US loyalty aside, if HD ends up with 50% or more of it's sales being international, it would be stupid to not move manufacturing. In fact, even at 35% they should be making some bikes closer to where they are being sold, as long as that 35% is not evenly spread around the world, then it would not be economical to do so...

Doc
12-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Well keeping feelings of US loyalty aside, if HD ends up with 50% or more of it's sales being international, it would be stupid to not move manufacturing. In fact, even at 35% they should be making some bikes closer to where they are being sold, as long as that 35% is not evenly spread around the world, then it would not be economical to do so...

Agree. An even better solution would be assembling plants in various parts of the world to avoid the ridiculous import duties on bikes. We have, in total, about 160% tax on an imported bike whereas parts are taxed between 30-60% (discretion of the customs officer..). Hence, nobody (not me anyway) can afford to buy their bikes through the dealer but from the "gray market" importers who import the bikes in parts and re-assemble them here. There is no control as to the qualifications of the guys that put the bikes together again, and we have seen some horror stories. Now, if HD themselves set up an assembly plant, not only would they have the control, get the sales and get a happy customer with a bike still under warranty, but the production could still be in the US, saving some jobs and create some new jobs in the receiving part of the world...
i am more concerned over the manufacturing process and R&D and Q control of these steps than the actual assembling... Just my 2 sedang of ideas...

JoeSomebody
12-14-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm wondering if this won't become Aermacchi part deux. Find some floundering MoCo in some other country, buy it, re-badge some as H-D and sell them in the U.S. I thought I had heard at one time that H-D was looking at India. I know they build the Royal Enfields there; maybe a partnership? I do know that if they keep dabbling in sub-standard, pot metal, government controlled crap from China it's most likely going to bite them in the ass.

ultrat
12-14-2011, 12:48 PM
I get emails from India dealers.. HD opened up 3 to 5 stores,,. they promote rides & concerts .. http://www.harley-davidson.in/ http://www.harley-davidson.in/harley-davidson-india-events-the-brave-shall-inherit-the-road-photo-gallery.html

ultrat
12-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Great pics, on second link above....

RumRunner
12-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Those were some pretty good pics, would love to be able to see some of those places in person.... think I'll stick to paved roads on my ultra though :D

Animal
12-15-2011, 12:44 AM
Remember how Fred Deeley got exclusive import rights to Canada and now his great-grandchildren are millionaries, and we pay a lot more for Harley stuff. What free trade?

Jaystronghawk
12-15-2011, 06:57 AM
Remember how Fred Deeley got exclusive import rights to Canada and now his great-grandchildren are millionaries, and we pay a lot more for Harley stuff. What free trade?

Yep remember it well ...

Mad Dog Jim
12-15-2011, 04:49 PM
TBones is pretty much right on the money with this one. I don't think its politics at all, its just talking about our near future. The biggest problem with a $15 Trillion debt is that it has to stop somewhere. Of every dollar we spend right now we have to borrow about half of it. China, Brazil, Japan, UK, and others must one day soon tell us "that's all folks". OVER NIGHT, not some day down the road, when we are cut off from the easy money, anything attached to the government will be cut by about 50%. SSI, Medicare/caid, Foodstamps, Welfare, Government pay at all levels, subsidiesed items (which is damn near everything) will be cut in half. The absolute last worry will be Harley!

Personally, I highly suspect its why our troops are coming home so rapidly. The greater threat is right here!