PDA

View Full Version : WS for Ultra

Walleye
03-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Anybody ever use these guys? Also, what do you think of the light tint VS clear? Is the light Tint too dark? Clint, you gave me some advice but I was soo into the comp and linkage I forgot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Clear-Windshield-Harley-Touring-FLHR-FLHT-FLHX-/120311531317?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c03204735

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Light-Tint-Windshield-Harley-Touring-Street-Glide-Ultra-Electra-Glide-/150740039418?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2318ce76fa&vxp=mtr

RumRunner
03-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Never used that brand, I have been pretty happy with LRS shields.

As far as tint, I cannot see over a 12" shield on my bike, so I would not consider having tint that I had to look through because it would make it that much more difficult to see things on the road at night. I use a 7" medium tint flip shield now and I can see over it so the tint is ok for me.

Haywire
03-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Walleye;

I have tried these ebay shields and they are cheaper to purchase,,,,, but come as flat stock not molded to the contour of the batwing. I found when installed they do not conform well and do not look as good as a windshield made to fit the batwing. Just my thoughts on it. Like RR said I like the LRS shields.

Walleye
03-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Thanks guys, this WS is out. This is what I like about this place, (well one reason, lots others too) is the straight forward no BS. Where do you recommend to get the LRS shields? RR, how tall are you? I am 5'9".

ultrat
03-11-2012, 09:39 PM
I must second Haywire on this they do fog after a year..,,.

RumRunner
03-11-2012, 09:42 PM
I am also 5'9" short legs though (29"). I have a lowered seat too (from MCC), so that makes a difference on the shield too. I had the stock clear 12" shield, but wanted tint, so went with the LRS ultra flip shield. got a 6" dark tint and a 7" medium tint. Right now have the 7" on and can see over it pretty good. And the flip keeps the wind off my face pretty well too.

I got mine directly from LRS http://www.longrideshields.com/ultra_windshields.html

RumRunner
03-11-2012, 09:50 PM
This is on their site too, but here is a vid on selecting the correct height shield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UXYkrJqSwo&feature=youtu.be

Clint
03-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Hey Walleye..... I happen to have a couple "extras" out in the shop. Both in great shape. One is an HD.. light tint and the height is 10 inches above the center bolt hole.

The other is a medium dark tint LRS with the "flip" top and the height is 8 inches above the bolt hole. It's just a bit too short for me at 6ft. Anyway, PM me your address and I'll send them both to you and you can try them out. If one of them works, then it's yours........ and you can send the other one on to another member who needs one. If neither of them work, then we'll just go from there. :)

Walleye
03-11-2012, 09:52 PM
I just checked on my size, and according to my wife, where she estimated my nose tip calls for a 10". I thought it was lower, like about 7-8". Maybe I split the diff and go with a 9" I am 5'9" with a 30-31 inseam. Would you go again with the medium tint or the light tint? Thanks RR. I did find their web site.

Walleye
03-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Hey Clint, just seen your post. I will gladly buy one from you. I will PM you in a few. I am thinking the 8" will be about perfect.

RumRunner
03-11-2012, 09:55 PM
I would go with the medium tint if I were to buy another one. I was concerned about how much I would need to look though it and not over it, but I have found that I almost never look through it. I bought both because I was going from a clear 12" shield I could not look over, and was not sure what I wanted/needed.

Sounds like you have a good deal there from Clint with a 10" and 8" shields though, if nothing else you will know if you need one a bit shorter or taller...

Razor
03-11-2012, 09:57 PM
I bought the freedom shield in the 9' dark tint and I love it . I am 5' 10 " and to me it fits great . The tint is no problem at all and for the 100 bucks I paid for it seems well worth it to me. Great customer service also.

Walleye
03-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Thanks for all the replies and help everyone!

flh8074
03-11-2012, 10:40 PM
I bought the freedom shield in the 9' dark tint and I love it . I am 5' 10 " and to me it fits great . The tint is no problem at all and for the 100 bucks I paid for it seems well worth it to me. Great customer service also.

I bought a Freedom shield this winter and like it so far, riding around 500 miles. I got the 9" light tint. I'm 6'3" and ride with a bit lower than stock seat on my FLHT. I can look over it with no buffeting. Good quality, good service.

santajim
03-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Hey Walleye I have a dark tinted flip from LRS and love it. I used to live in Sparks Nv which is where he is so I went over to the shop he let me take 3 different heights to try. The guy is great to work with. Can't beat the deal Clint is offering.

Jaystronghawk
03-12-2012, 09:23 AM
My 8" LRS on the Ultra fits me perfect at 5'8" ..

Azrider
03-12-2012, 12:14 PM
I bought a Freedom shield this winter and like it so far, riding around 500 miles. I got the 9" light tint. I'm 6'3" and ride with a bit lower than stock seat on my FLHT. I can look over it with no buffeting. Good quality, good service.

l see 3 to 4 inches over the stock windshield. l measured 12 -3/4 inches from top of screw to top of windshield. I get no buffeting. My concern is that will the lower flip windshields divert bugs and rain as well as it does the wind?

Haywire
03-12-2012, 01:09 PM
My 8" LRS on the Ultra fits me perfect at 5'8" ..

Walleye

I went with the 10" LRS Flip and I am 6' tall with a Mustang Touring Seat on my 06 UC.I see over it with ease and the wind is a non factor. I have rode in the rain and it did a good job of keeping it off me. LRS were great to deal with. I just called him up and ordered what I wanted.

flh8074
03-12-2012, 07:02 PM
l see 3 to 4 inches over the stock windshield. l measured 12 -3/4 inches from top of screw to top of windshield. I get no buffeting. My concern is that will the lower flip windshields divert bugs and rain as well as it does the wind?

Good question AZ. I have never had a flip windshield until this one, which is replacing a standard 10 inch shield. This time of year up here we have no bugs yet. I did run in a little drizzle over the weekend and noticed my face shield did not get near the moisture the windshield did. Sitting on my bike, the Freedom shield comes up to my nose, and I look over it. Their website says that the flip will take the place of two inches of standard windshield (above 30 mph), which seems fairly accurate. If you prefer looking through instead of over the windshield, then the height wouldn't be so critical.

Having said all that, Clints offer would indeed be hard to beat. You would have a little more reference, without any expense. Hey Clint, got any 103" motors layin' around, maybe the wrong color cylinders or somethin'??!!?

ultrat
03-12-2012, 08:06 PM
He's got motors !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap2: