PDA

View Full Version : Dead Battery

wingrider
04-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Had the Crossbones on the tender jr. for a coupla months, started it up (3-12-12) and put it on the trailer for a trip to Cali. Pulled the Bones off the trailer in El Centro, Ca (3-14-12) after I got off work to go for a ride and to my dismay all I hear when I hit the starter button is click, click, click. WTF:BigHeadMad: Did a meter check and got 11.38 vdc on the battery. WTF:noidea:Anyone have any ideas?

Doc
04-16-2012, 08:50 AM
That sucks!! How old is the battery?? What type?? Or maybe the tender is faulty??
Do you have an alarm? If so, was it in transport mode??

RichardS
04-16-2012, 09:01 AM
There are so many things besides the battery it could be....I just went through a similar situation with a bike I sold a few weeks ago.....it would start fine sometimes then act like a dead battery other times.....(and yes, sometimes the read showed less than a 100% full charge but enough that it should have at least cranked over slowly)......turned out it was the wire that went from the starter button to the starter had a fault that once replaced cured the problem and the bike no longer "clicked" like the battery was dead, it started every time after the repair.

Other times over the years with other scoots I had corrosion, just a tiny amount really, at one or more points on the battery cables at each end, or one was not tightened down really tight, and that too caused what you describe. Once cleaned and tightened down, problem solved.

Please know that I am no wrench and have little to no talent doing my own work, and my very nice Snap-On tool box gets wheeled from one side of the garage to the other several times a year without opening up one drawer for months at a time. My point is don't ever rely solely on MY mechanical advise...I am just relating some of my own experiences here. But we have some true experts that I am sure will kick in with great advise, so be patient and in short order you'll be getting far more informed responses than mine!

Glenalt
04-16-2012, 09:02 AM
If it has security it needs to be put in transport mode or put the fob on the bike or the alarm lights will run the batt dead. Maybe that's it?

R_W_B
04-16-2012, 09:22 AM
The very first thing I do in cases like this is check all my grounds for cleaness and tightness. Clean corrosion with a wire brush and retighten battery posts. I've seen this fix it time and time again. If the problem persists take the battery to parts store and have it load tested. If the battery passes the test then start reading voltages on the various lines coming from the starter switch all the way back to the starter (including the relay pins).

Tsani
04-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Well start with the tender. Is it putting out? You can check it right on the battery with a volt meter. Is it the right one for your battery type? For AGM batteries I prefer the Smart tender sold by HD or better yet the one made by the people who make it for HD. Check your cables for cleanlyness, and tightness. Test the battery. I use copper sheild on my battery connections, it is a copper based anti oxidant antiseze we electricians use. Stuff is great. You shouldn't have to have your alarm in transport mode in the garage, on a trailer on a bumpy road, yeah. But it should drain the battery down like that. Every couple of months I take a 10mm wrench and check my battery connections. seems to be a real problem on softails.

Butch
04-16-2012, 05:13 PM
I am like Rich, no wrench, Just what has happened to me. Believe me or not, but I have never used a tender and on the first nice warm day I go out and start mine and my wife's bike. Personally everytime I wouldn't start I would check the battery and the connnection. Most of the time it was the battery. Now what I have been told is that one of the warning signs of a battery going bad is that when It goes to crank over and it sounds like you are ripping out your starter it is a sign that your battery is starting to go bad. Just my two cents. And again, I'm no wrench.

oldskyking
04-17-2012, 01:59 AM
(Did a meter check and got 11.38 vdc on the battery.)

A reading below 12 vdc generally indicates a problem with one of the cells.

Dale
04-17-2012, 08:25 AM
It may have had a decent charge fresh off the charger but, after cranking the engine once, the charge didn't hold up. If all connections are clean & tight, the battery has a bad cell & can't hold a charge. If it's more than 3 years old, the battery owes you nothing.

RichardS
04-17-2012, 12:02 PM
It may have had a decent charge fresh off the charger but, after cranking the engine once, the charge didn't hold up. If all connections are clean & tight, the battery has a bad cell & can't hold a charge. If it's more than 3 years old, the battery owes you nothing.

Dale, just wanted to comment on this...I use the Harley Smart-Charger on my bikes, 365 days a year. When I get in from riding, as soon as the bike cools down enough not to melt the wire, I connect it.

I routinely get 6-8 years out of a battery. Is it because I have made a religion out of having the tender connected every minute (almost) the bike is in the garage?

I think so....you guys have any opinion on this?

Embellishment
04-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Last summer I was at an independent cycle accessories shop. A gent rolled in on a 2003 Roadking. He went in and bought a battery. He claimed his bike was "dragging a bit" when he tried to start it. He also told me that his machine still had the original battery. He changed it out in the business parking lot.

Embellishment

RumRunner
04-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Dale, just wanted to comment on this...I use the Harley Smart-Charger on my bikes, 365 days a year. When I get in from riding, as soon as the bike cools down enough not to melt the wire, I connect it.

I routinely get 6-8 years out of a battery. Is it because I have made a religion out of having the tender connected every minute (almost) the bike is in the garage?

I think so....you guys have any opinion on this?

I've had batteries that have lasted 10 years and never on a tender, have had others on a tender and last just a couple years. And of course others that lasted only months and replaced under warranty. I think it is just the luck of the draw, just like any other electrical part, you never know how long it will last. Each one is different and there really is no way to tell how or why it lasted for as long or as little as it did. How's that for scientific??? :D

Glenalt
04-17-2012, 01:40 PM
My 05 Heritage battery was 6 years old and still good when I traded the bike. I had a tender but it was not hooked up all the time if I was riding regularly.

Embellishment
04-17-2012, 01:44 PM
I've had batteries that have lasted 10 years and never on a tender, have had others on a tender and last just a couple years. And of course others that lasted only months and replaced under warranty. I think it is just the luck of the draw, just like any other electrical part, you never know how long it will last. Each one is different and there really is no way to tell how or why it lasted for as long or as little as it did. How's that for scientific??? :D

Rum now this just blows my mind. In the spring of 1999 I bought a new John Deere GT235 Garden tractor. Been my only source for the most part of mowing 1 1/3 acre of grass every week in growing season. Now get this... this machine still has the original battery. This factory installed battery has never been off the machine, never had a tender put to it, never had the terminals cleaned, and in the winter months never started. Now to me for reasons already assigned...this totally amazes me. Still shocked at it's long life with the "unorthodox" measures on my part to prolong its life.

Embellishment

Butch
04-17-2012, 03:06 PM

I have to agree with you on this, Rum. I just changed my wife's battery after nine years and never a tender, and we only changed it because she started to worry that it would go bad when we were out riding. The battery was still starting the bike with no problem in the tenth year. The battery in my bike is going on four years, and no tender. My daughter had a brand new one on a tender all winter. Went to start it and it was dead, got a jump, and it started right up. Rode for an hour, to our house, shut it off and it was stone dead. Had to replace it, less than a year old. Like you said, the luck of the draw.

oldskyking
04-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Rich, I agree with you, based on my experience, using a tender generally doubles the life of my batteries....of course, some batteries can go off the production line with hidden defects and no matter how you maintain them, have a relatively short lifespan. By not using a tender, the charge is consistently rising and falling, which is detrimental for longevity......that is, unless one rides on a regular basis with the alternator and voltage regulator operating properly.

Dale
04-17-2012, 05:33 PM
I've never used a Battery Tender. My riding season is 365 days & I'm on it about twice a week. With that, I don't see a need for it. Actually, keeping a constant charge on the battery isn't a good thing (my opinion - not necessarily fact). Batteries are designed to cycle so, I assume they like it. I'm sure there is a wide variation in battery life but, the average is 3-5 years. When I'm in my 4th year, I start to wonder if it's going to fail on the road & strand me. So...for peace of mind...I replace it. Preventive maintenance. What I meant by my "it owes you nothing" comment was that after so many years, you can't be pissed at the battery if it fails.

wingrider
04-18-2012, 11:40 AM
So now that I have a little down time I will add more to the storey. The battery is the oem one that came with the bike when I bought it last Janurary. I've checked all the connections (disconnected and re-connected), pulled the battery and put it on an 1.5 amp charger over night (6:00pm-4:00am), re-installed the battery and she fired right up. Checked the voltage at the battery and read 13.6 at idle and 14.7 at 2200 rmp. Road the 20+ miles to work let it sit all day (10 hrs shift) started and road back to the hotel let her sit over night and fired it up yesterday morning and went for a 200 mile ride. When I get back to Oak Harbor I will check the bender.

ultrat
04-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Hope it keeps crank
in.',',,!

wingrider
06-19-2012, 10:39 PM
I just re-found the thread I started several months ago. So here is my theory: I left the fob in one of the saddle bags for 2 days :shakinNO:hence the ignition was armed putting a small drain on the battery. I pulled the battery and charged it over night, re-installed it and it's been working fine ever since.:bikeday_smilie:

RumRunner
06-19-2012, 10:58 PM
Not sure about that theory, I have my fob in my windshield bag with my bike locked up in a garage, it's been like that for 2 months and have never had a problem with the battery.... so far :D

clutchglass
06-20-2012, 01:28 AM
(Did a meter check and got 11.38 vdc on the battery.)

A reading below 12 vdc generally indicates a problem with one of the cells.
OSK is spot on here. I am posting a screen capture from my 2009 toouring models service manual (should be the same for all batteries). The book says when doing a charge, and volt meter test to wait 1 to 2 hours after charging before volt testing. Then...you should be getting the readings noted int he far left hand column.. It sounds to me like you have a battery issue.
-clutch-

2fasteddie
08-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Got all ready to go to the concert at the Stealership, hit the starter button slow to turn over then click click click. Luckily I started early. Drove to Mountain Creek HD and got a new battery. I got 3 years and 4 months service out of it. I guess that's pretty good.

wingrider
08-20-2012, 05:08 AM
I started this thread in April and that is the only time she failed to start but I now keep a set of jumper cables and tender Jr in the bags when I am away from home.