HarleyTalking
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Harbor Freight Tag-Along Trailer

After seeing Papas'SG post on another thread showing his HF Tag Along Trailer, I thought I would start up a new thread to discuss. Sure is a decent price. Currently on sale with a 20% HF coupon..the price comes to $329.

In reading a bit more, it looks like some basic mods are necessary but it sounds like a lot of folks have already done most of the legwork in figuring it all out. .

http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-...ler-66771.html

Here's a pic of Papa's...

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!

09 Ultra - Black Pearl - PCV - SEAC - RUSH 4" Big Louie's

American Dogs - Vivid Black & Mellow Yellow
    PLEASE SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL ANIMAL SHELTER!

JOIN A.B.A.T.E. - "THE RIGHTS YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN!"

Bike
    09 ultra black
    wow that sure is neet ,,
    From a WW1 RAF Flight Manual ...
    "If a crash at the home airfield is inevitable, try to hit something soft and, preferably, inexpensive"
    Popeye The Sailor - Wimpy The Moocher: http://youtu.be/Q7PFQ7SvH4o

What a bliss to fight your inner conflicts and wake up with a chaos filled mind. And above all else the streak of sarcasm that wouldn't leave your side
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m6ly...e_gdata_player
    To our Soldiers, past an present, Thank You an God bless you....... Click here to enlarge...LORD I live by your Will. I shall die when you desire; Save me because you can..." "Never was fount so clear,
    undimmed and bright;
    From it alone, I know proceeds all light
    although 'tis night. .St John of the CROSS.."
    Let me get through today, and I shall not fear tomorrow." ST. Philip Neri.!! **
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    2014 Ultra Classic
    What type of mods would need to be made? That's quite a bit more affordable than most trailers I've seen. The 55mph limit might be prohibitive!

The reviews on the Harbor Frieght site and on some other forums seem to indicate that the 55mph is not an issue and that many run these at 75 / 80 without issues. I think they are just CYA with the mph rating...just like every U-haul trailer does.

The mods they are talking about seem to be stuff like swapping or improving the wheel bearings, interior carpeting, weather stripping the lid, swapping to LED lighting for less elec draw...etc.

I'm sure that this thing won't perform as well as a Bushtec..... but still might be worth looking into. Found this comparison video on the Bushtec site.. Definitely worth the 50 seconds to watch it..

Asteroids Champion!
    Bike
    2010 Ultra
    That was pretty funny Click here to enlarge
    ~RumRunner

2010 Ultra - Vivid Black; Stage III 103"; SE259e Cams; SERT; Dresser Duals; 4" Rineharts Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Tetris Champion!
    Bike
    2015 FLHTK
    I ran one that was very similar for several years with no issues. I'm pretty sure it saw 90mph. I did put on the spring-loaded bearing buddy to keep them greased. I often considered swapping out the wheels/tires for the next size bigger.
    __________________________________________________ __
    2015 FLHTK
    1965 FLHFB
    2011 FLHTK (Gonzo)
    2009 FLHX (gone)
    2004 FLHTCUI (gonner)
    2003 FLTRI/FLHTCI (farther gone)
    1999 FLHR (long gone)
    1981 FXE (gonnest)

A wife, three daughters, and even my GPS tells me what to do!

Bike
    2014 Ultra Limited she is bone stock but won't be that way long.
    To me the 2 most important mods would be got to 5 lug 12" wheels and hubs and get a 90 degree ball mount. I have one that I bought when I bought my dog trailer last year, it mounts on a plate and has a "U" shaped mount where the ball mounts and will swing 90 degrees from one side to the other. I dropped my bike in a parking lot last year with my trailer and the wheels on the trailer never left the ground. It came from USA Trailers for 49.95. I think I would also take out a leaf from the springs so it would ride a little softer. 329.00 is more easier to customize than 3500.00.
    If it feels good DO IT

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by santajim Click here to enlarge
    To me the 2 most important mods would be got to 5 lug 12" wheels and hubs and get a 90 degree ball mount. I have one that I bought when I bought my dog trailer last year, it mounts on a plate and has a "U" shaped mount where the ball mounts and will swing 90 degrees from one side to the other. I dropped my bike in a parking lot last year with my trailer and the wheels on the trailer never left the ground. It came from USA Trailers for 49.95. I think I would also take out a leaf from the springs so it would ride a little softer. 329.00 is more easier to customize than 3500.00.
    Excellent points Jim.. In looking around a bit more, I also found this Piggy Back trailer. Almost looks like these folks just bought the HF trailer and then did all the mods that most folks want.

http://www.piggybacker.com/Piggyback...o_Trailer.html

Bike
    2008 Street Glide Anniversary Edition 2015 EG Ultra Classic Low
    I probably have 10k miles on that tag-along of mine. I used to pull it with a 1600 Kawasaki before I got the Street Glide.

Mine still has original HF wheel bearings, I just grease them the beginning of every season. Wash all the original grease out of them on initial assembly. The grease they come with is like Vasoline.

Tail lights and marker lights are junk. Upgrade them to LED. I got mine from HF, LOL.

I do not find a need for any additional seal. There is a good overlap of the top to the bottom and mine has been through some pretty heavy rain. It wouldn't float, but my stuff has stayed dry.

As has been said, the 55mph limit is a CYA statement by manufacturer. I have run mine all day long at 80 mph. I check tire pressure like a fanatic, run mine at 50psi and it's not uncommon for me to check them twice a day on a trip, AND I've never had to add air.

One thing I found when I hooked up to the Street Glide, the SG sets alittle lower in the back and that brings the hitch alittle lower. That gives the trailer a forward slant from being level when connected. That allows things in the trailer to slide forward easier and will result in tonque weight you did not plan on.

I solved that by ordering a Curt 1" 7/8 ball with a 2 inch riser from ETrailer. The 2 inch riser gets my trailer level. The Curt ball with riser only comes with a 1 inch stem and nut. The hole in my HiddenHItch is a 7/8ths hole, I had to have the hole drilled to accept the 1 inch stem.

I pulled the tag along to Sioux City last weekend for Awesome Biker Nghts. I not only hauled home everything my wife bought that weekend, I also hauled home everything everybody else's wife bought that weekend.

That is one thing to be mindful of this trailer, it has a LARGE capacity. It is capable of holding more weight than you can safely stop with. Just be smart and do not overload it.

I even pull that dam thing with my little Kia Soul, LOL.

Bike
    2008 Street Glide Anniversary Edition 2015 EG Ultra Classic Low
    Sturgis 2011

Click here to enlarge

Note the fondness for Harley hardbags.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast