HarleyTalking
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bike
    2003 Road King & 2014 Ultra Ltd

Stock Pipe with Catalyst removed OR Header pipe from Vance & Hines or other Mfg.

I want to get rid of the Catalyst on my 14 Ultra ltd. Is there a big bump in performance between the 2? I prefer the cost of the ones I have seen on ebay $135 to the $500 or more for Performance Pipe. Thanks.

Bike
    2017 RGU Blackhills gold and black-96 FB Black with sidecar
    I have done it both ways. While removing CAT works. The bike will tune and produce better results with a good header.
    Removing the Cat from stock header will produce a slightly different tone. It is not a hard job. Remove the header, cut a trap door in CAT area gut it weld it back shut.
    As for after market headers some of us prefer the 2-1-2 type ceramic coated.
    Your stock chrome or black shields go right back on.
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Bike
    2012 Dyna Switchback and 86' FJ1200
    big fn of the V&H 2-1-2 X pipe header, used it on my 110" Ultra and with the other mods it was a bit of an animal on the throttle but cruising was just so, and didn't lose any if any economy still 200 to the tank

P6070150.jpg
    P6070149.jpg
    Click here to enlarge
    IBA MEMBER 40172
    SYLO SYLBP

I'm walking with Sophie tonight, She lives in the air that I breathe;
    I can't get it out of my mind, How you were left to bleed...
    Was it how you dressed?
    Or how you act?
    I can't believe, How they could act so violently,
    Without regret, , Well, we will not forget...

We are the others, We are the cast outs,
    We're the outsiders, But you can't hide us,
    We are the others, We are the cast outs
    You're no longer on your own, If you feel mistreated, Torn and cheated,
    You're not alone, We are the others

Fuelmoto has your answer

Plus you got both 12mm Lamda bungs and 18mm bungs for sensors and plugs for each.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/jackpot2-1-2-head-pipe.html

Click here to enlarge

And realize you have a water cooled exhaust valve. And they run leaner than any other harley.
    Be careful is you change the pipe and exhaust with no tuner.

Fuelmoto has a great selection of tuners. and tech support.
    Click here to enlarge

2011 Ultra Limited
    107 cu.

Click here to enlarge

Moderator / Sergeant at Arms clutchglass's Avatar

Bike
    2015 FLHX Streetglide Special

Stock Pipe with Catalyst removed OR Header pipe from Vance & Hines or other Mfg.

First off.....welcome to the family here. I strongly encourage you to visit the "New Member" area of our forum and start a hello thread. Post up some pictures of your scooter (we love pictures!!!) and tell us a bit about yourself and where you are from. That will give everybody a chance to get to know you a bit, and to say hello.

On the subject of pipes, if your not much for metal fabrication, I'd recommend you not to mess around with cutting out your old cat. You obviously paid a lot of money for your scooter, so why not set if off right with a new set of pipes? By the time I finish with my post here.....I am going to likely sound like someone trying to get you to part with as much of your money as possible. Please don't send me any dealership employment applications. Honestly though, some of what you need to consider in doing this....is extremely important to the health of your scooter. It's not salesman ship I'm trying to throw at you, it's just fact....that some people don't consider and end up regretting:

1.) Because of EPA law.....your bike comes off the assembly line running leaner than is healthy for it. It might be good for the environment to lean out your fuel/air mixture that much, but it absolutely isn't good for your bike.

2.) Anything and everything you do to your exhaust or your air intake has an effect on how rich or how lean your motor runs! Because of this, your ECM will need it's software adjusted.

For the above reasons, you should think long and hard before you make any changes to air or exhaust systems on your bike without installing a tuner. My personal favorites are the dynojet Power Commander V and the Dynojet Power Vision. There are plenty of other great tuners out there to choose from though.

I also recommend you consider installing a more free flowing air filter as well. This is often referred to as a "stage1" kit. There are several good ones out there. My personal favorite (and I'm not one who buys "Harley brand" stuff often) is the harley SE stage 1 air cleaner. To me, it seems made a bit more sturdy.

As far as specifically what pipes to buy and how they collect/discharge.....it's really all about what your preferences are. A couple things to consider are:

2into2 (2 head pipes discharging into 2 mufflers) will give you slightly (VERY slightly) less power than 2into1 (2 head pipes discharging into 1 muffler). Since some people want the performance of 2into1, but don't want to give up the "look" of 2into2 exhaust....some manufacturers make pipes with a "phantom" second muffler (that really doesn't do anything). Also there is a true 2into1into2 exhaust. The 2-1-2 approach gives performance that (in my opinion) is probably just as good (or damn close) as 2into1.

Finally, there is the pipe material and coating for you to consider. Your better (and more expensive) pipes are made from 304 stainless steel. However a decent set of carbon steel pipes should last you for years without a problem. Now you need to decide if you want ceramic coated pipes or not. I have ceramic coated pipes. While I feel the ceramic coating probably makes some difference (and I myself will only buy ceramic coated pipes from here on out) I do have to admit it isn't a huge difference. Touch my ceramic coated pipes after I've been riding...and they will still burn the snot out of you (Don't ask me how I know! LOL)!!!

Several here have mentioned Fuel Moto. I have been buying from them for years, and have NEVER gotten a bad deal or bad service! Hope this helps.
    -clutch-
    Last edited by clutchglass; 07-11-2014 at 05:47 PM.
    "The enemy has us surrounded again...those poor bastards!" -Gen Creighton Abrams-

Bike
    1982 FXRS, 2009 Streetglide
    Fullsac Performance makes a good one. http://fullsac.com/product/fullsac-cx-pipe/
    Click here to enlarge
    "Don't own up to anything. That's like saying you did it."

Bike
    Fuelmoto 2-1-2 ceramic coated with factory heat shields reinstalled.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by smitty901 Click here to enlarge
    Fuelmoto 2-1-2 ceramic coated with factory heat shields reinstalled.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Ahhhh !

Where's the heat shields.
    Click here to enlarge

2011 Ultra Limited
    107 cu.

Click here to enlarge

Bike
    Heat shields for exhaust headers factory HD ones will go right back on Fuel Moto Jackpot
    Click here to enlarge
    Dianne Feinstein:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by smitty901 Click here to enlarge
    Heat shields for exhaust headers factory HD ones will go right back on Fuel Moto Jackpot
    Click here to enlarge
    Just seen your post on the pipes with heat shields. I saw chrome header pipes and no heat shields.

I got the stainless steel jackpot header pipes I put on 3 yrs ago because they have both size bungs.
    Click here to enlarge

2011 Ultra Limited
    107 cu.

Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast