HarleyTalking
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bike
    '90 XLH 883 Hugger

"90 883 Exhaust Size??

Hello, I currently have stock exhaust w/some Screaming Eagle mufflers.

In the future I would like to do the 1250 kit but for now I would like to change out the current exhaust but do not want to do it twice.

Question, what size exhaust should I run w/the 1250 kit that would work well w/the stock 883 motor if in fact one size would work well for both? 1 3/4" or 2" exhaust/drag pipes?
    Are the exhaust ports bigger on the 1250 jugs than the stock 883 jugs?

Thanks,
    Jim
    Last edited by Rollbar; 11-09-2014 at 11:11 PM.

Moderator / Sergeant at Arms clutchglass's Avatar

Bike
    2015 FLHX Streetglide Special

"90 883 Exhaust Size??

I'm REALLY surprised you don't have an answer by now. I wish I could give you one straight out the gate....but I can't. What I can say is call Hammer performance (or whatever manufacturer you decide to use for your 1250 kit) and ask them. Also, I have a friend at work(just remembered) who did the Hammer Performance 1250 kit. I will ask him tomorrow and post his answer.
    -clutch-
    "The enemy has us surrounded again...those poor bastards!" -Gen Creighton Abrams-

Bike
    '90 XLH 883 Hugger
    Thank you Clutch. It would be nice to know etc and since I'm going w/drag pipes (the longer ones down the side/to the back mid tire/one at the sprocket) I'm thinking the diameter will have a bearing on the current 883 for performance and might on the 1250 kit.

Thanks again,
    Jim

Bike
    '90 XLH 883 Hugger
    P.S. I'm thinking the exhaust ports are the same on the 883/1250 kit but not 100% sure.

Bike
    09 ultra black
    coming from the iron head years course sixty's seventy's and so forth 1 3/4 quarters exhaust I've felt is always best unless its a big drag motor.... 2 inches just too big average street use ...
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    09 ultra black
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rollbar Click here to enlarge
    P.S. I'm thinking the exhaust ports are the same on the 883/1250 kit but not 100% sure.
    if you are talking where the exhaust clamps on yes I'm almost hundred percent sure they are the same size
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    '90 XLH 883 Hugger
    Just the info I was looking for. I stopped by a buddy's house and his are 1 3/4" on his '88 1200.

Thank you again,
    Jim

Bike
    If you're looking for performance 2into1 is going to yield much better performance than "drag" pipes. I always liked the look of drag pipes...but always thought the name was misleading.
    -clutch-
    "The enemy has us surrounded again...those poor bastards!" -Gen Creighton Abrams-

Bike
    '90 XLH 883 Hugger
    Question, does the 2 into 1 still have the potatoe effect/sound? Meaning it won't sound like a rice burner will it?

Thanks,
    Jim

Bike
    Jim,
    It won't sound like a rice rocket (I have 2into1 on my ultra), but you are not going to get the "potato effect" without a shovel head either. I would suggest you either go hang out at a dealership and/or do some youtube searches to hear what different exhausts sound like.
    -clutch-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast