HarleyTalking
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killed the cat

Bike
    2008 Street Glide Anniversary Edition 2015 EG Ultra Classic Low

Killed the cat

Look'n to do a stage 1 upgrade next month. SE air, SE tuner and dyno tune. On the exhaust side I wanted to get rid of the cat in the head pipe in order to reduce heat . I looked long and hard at just gutting the cat out of the oem pipe but elected to go with an aftermarket, fuelmoto ceramic coated 2 into 1 into 2. Capped it off with a pair of Vance and Hines Monster ovals.

OEM pipe prepped for removal...
    Click here to enlarge

Removed...
    Click here to enlarge

Fuelmoto headpipe installed...
    Click here to enlarge

Fuelmoto and Vance and Hines installed...
    Click here to enlarge

First impression those V&H are loud !!! The ceramic coated headpipe needs several 5 minute heat cycles at idle and that's all I've heard those mufflers and they are loud. I hope not too loud. I had to fiddle with install of the headpipe alittle more than I thought I should have. I didn't have a real good feeling about them no leaking but I did not notice any leaks at all on the first heat cycle, more to follow tomorrow and maybe...maybe a test run ?? We'll see. The Fuelmoto uses all the oem heatshields and the oem crossover pipe. Reinstalling the crossover pipe is a PIA. I screwed up the gasket on the first attempt, dealer didn't have any replacement (back order) but an independent I know has a pile of take off exhaust and he gave me a crossover pipe that had a good gasket in it. It's almost impossible to remove that gasket and reuse it, so good on my indy.

Dealer runs 20% off parts and labor to install parts next month. That's when I'll do the air, the tuner and the dyno run. If I get HP and torque numbers I'll be sure and post them.

Moderator / Sergeant at Arms clutchglass's Avatar

Bike
    2015 FLHX Streetglide Special
    Cool! I'm subscribing to this...can't wait to hear your thoughts. Video (if possible) would be Bitcoin too papa!!!
    -clutch-
    "The enemy has us surrounded again...those poor bastards!" -Gen Creighton Abrams-

Bike
    2005 Dyna FXD/ 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse Stage 1
    The day may come one day can't eliminate the Cat but as long as I can, it's usually the first thing to go .. Noticed the Difference in heat right away ...
    2005 Dyna FXD Stage 2/ 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse

Asteroids Champion!
    Bike
    2010 Ultra
    I think you will find the Monster Ovals seem loud at idle and even when giving it throttle standing still, but are not that loud once you are riding. I recently changed from the Monster Ovals to Rineharts and the RH's are much louder.
    ~RumRunner

2010 Ultra - Vivid Black; Stage III 103"; SE259e Cams; SERT; Dresser Duals; 4" Rineharts Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Bike
    09 ultra black
    when I first got the bike I bought monster ovals and I thought they were too quiet now my bike did not come with the cat so there's a difference there I really only like the sound when I was under good hard throttle. but everybody's different I ended up myself with some cycle Shack slip ons.
    they have a bit of a drag pipes sound when you shift from gear to gear and her up in the RPMs . short open baffle but still only about an inch and three-quarter inch diameter inside. its always trial and error what you like what you want to get and you hope I don't make or at least don't take too many trials good luck. Click here to enlarge
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    2016 Tri Glide True V & H Duals, Stage one, and to much bling to list.
    Papa if I am not mistaken you now have a 15 wethead, if so you are gonna be surprised at how cool it is around you and mamas legs once the cat was killed.
    If it feels good DO IT

Bike
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by santajim Click here to enlarge
    Papa if I am not mistaken you now have a 15 wethead, if so you are gonna be surprised at how cool it is around you and mamas legs once the cat was killed.

No wethead santajim, mine is the Classic and not the Limited. But I'm thinking any help in reducing heat is a good thing and that cat has got to be pretty restrictive.

Bike
    2018 FLHTCU Ultra
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by papa'sSG Click here to enlarge
    No wethead santajim, mine is the Classic and not the Limited. But I'm thinking any help in reducing heat is a good thing and that cat has got to be pretty restrictive.
    also - looking at the pictures, the radiators would be where the lower fairing storage compartments are correct?
    Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose!

Bike
    09 ultra black
    after looking at your pictures again it's too bad the exhaust gets hot because I think that exhaust looks good without the chrome covers on it
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw Click here to enlarge
    also - looking at the pictures, the radiators would be where the lower fairing storage compartments are correct?

That is correct. I have nothing against the wet head, I think it's a good design and a good thing to have. Just out here on the praire I NEVER set in traffic. I don't do parades and simply didn't see a need for it in consideration of my riding habits. I'm usually on a two lane oil road so strait and flat I can see the curvature of the earth and not another vehicle for miles. I think I get sufficient cooling as long as I'm moving and I'm always moving. The Limiteds have some upgrades I simply would never use, like CB. They are great if you use them, but I just never would.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast