HarleyTalking

Thread: Tool kits

Bike
    2017 RGU Blackhills gold and black-96 FB Black with sidecar

Tool kits

There was a time you went no where with out a well stocked tool kit. Be it a nicely packed roll up or a pouch. Stuffed in a bag or strapped on some where never leave home with out it. Biggest sin was to forget the plug wrench.
    Times have changed. It has been many years sense a Plug wrench was a major item. Even in the bike room most tools are for playing with the bike not repairing it. The last bike I carried a roll up kit was my 07. Used it once to help a lady tighten loose battery cables on her car. All I carry now is this simple all in one and a HOG premium membership card . Have never had to use either in many miles of riding. But you never know you may need to tighten something on a trip. And should things go bad HOG is there.
    Newer HD rider has been told he need a truck full of tools to ride his Harley. The above is how I explained it to him.
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Bike
    2004 GeezerGlide Classic
    I have my tool kit from 1999 and carry it everywhere...Fortunately I have never had any real problems...

Bike
    2016 Tri Glide True V & H Duals, Stage one, and to much bling to list.
    I have those tool bags that custom fit in the bottom of the saddlebags and because I spent the biggest part of my life as a mechanic I have to admit I carry more tools than I need but I have used them for myself and to help others.
    If it feels good DO IT

Bike
    2015 CVO Ultra Limited
    I have a tool set, with what I think I may need, rolled in a converted vise grip holder.
    When I would take it, it was always the first item into the sadle bag. Only times I opened it up was to add something to it. This kit started when I got my 03 RKC, and each time I got a new bike the tool kit they came with had less and less. And now they give us a little fold up pocket type. Gone are the days of carrying tools to take the axle nut off, to all you may need to remove is a bulb.
    Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Bike
    2017 RGU Blackhills gold and black-96 FB Black with sidecar
    We sure have come a long ways. Make a 5000 plus mile trip like it was nothing. Kind of why so called Iron but rides have become meaningless. You can ride 1000 miles in a day and still go out to dinner and a movie.
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Bike
    2017 EG Ultra Ltd CVO
    Same here. I also carry my tool kit package from the '07. I only carry it in the event someone needs tools. I hope I never have to use them on my '14. 'Cause I just wanna ride and have a fun filled day. I too have the 7 year warranty from HD. And the tire warranty. Again hoping not to have to use them. But if I do I know I am covered.
    Ride safe folks.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." Robert Frost.
    "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving." Albert Einstein.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." Isaac Asimov.

Bike
    2005 Dyna FXD/ 2011 Victory Cross Country
    I carry a lot of the Basic Tools that can help me or others out , including a Stop & Go Tire Plug Kit ( Tubeless Tires ) and Slime Portable Compressor .. Used them a few times mostly helping someone else ..
    2005 Dyna FXD Stage 2/ 2011 Vic Cross Country

Moderator / Sergeant at Arms clutchglass's Avatar

Bike
    2015 FLHX Streetglide Special
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by santajim Click here to enlarge
    I have those tool bags that custom fit in the bottom of the saddlebags and because I spent the biggest part of my life as a mechanic I have to admit I carry more tools than I need but I have used them for myself and to help others.

Amen brother! While I 100% totally agree with Smitty about how the reliability has greatly improved for HD. As someone who has spent his lifetime as a maintainer...I never go anywhere without at least a few basic tools...and gorilla tape (a new version of duct tape that is just incredible!). No matter if I'm riding my scoot, or driving my truck I keep something with me in case somebody else needs help.
    -Clutch-
    "The enemy has us surrounded again...those poor bastards!" -Gen Creighton Abrams-

Bike
    2000 roadking police & 80 flt
    Got my tool bag from my shovel . With all stuff added from poke king . Can pull brakes rear wheel lol . Tools get used on other folks rides . That is ok with me . Nice to help out
    Click here to enlarge