HarleyTalking
+ Reply to Thread

Bike
    09 ultra black

Belt broke. At least this time.

Belt broke. At least this time.
    I was only a block from home I had the independent shop put it on a hybrid fry remember a panther belt they said they never have any problems with them I think I only got 10,000 miles on it ,
    I Monday I'm gonna call and see if there's any kind of warranty on the belt probably was a My fault that kind of boosted up and did a little tire burn it probably wasn't warm it's only thing I can figure it's a clean break now I cut with a knife but like pulled apart from force you can see the strands going each direction so it's like a tear strata crossed here though. So I guess depending on what happens if I can find a belt or I sure don't want to put up the bike this soon I've never put it up there soon. The only reason I bought the panther belt they suggested it they had no problems with the belt and it was $100 less than the Harley bill and they said it would belt just didn't have the logo on it. Maybe I should buy the Harley belt next time just wondering on your thoughts just throwing it out here what way the neighbor seen me pushing it back home and he said hey you want to take mine well it didn't take me long heck yeah ..
    I got to get to work I'd be happy to take your bike
    From a WW1 RAF Flight Manual ...
    "If a crash at the home airfield is inevitable, try to hit something soft and, preferably, inexpensive"
    Popeye The Sailor - Wimpy The Moocher: http://youtu.be/Q7PFQ7SvH4o

What a bliss to fight your inner conflicts and wake up with a chaos filled mind. And above all else the streak of sarcasm that wouldn't leave your side
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m6ly...e_gdata_player
    To our Soldiers, past an present, Thank You an God bless you....... Click here to enlarge...LORD I live by your Will. I shall die when you desire; Save me because you can..." "Never was fount so clear,
    undimmed and bright;
    From it alone, I know proceeds all light
    although 'tis night. .St John of the CROSS.."
    Let me get through today, and I shall not fear tomorrow." ST. Philip Neri.!! **
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    2004 GeezerGlide Classic
    No warranty on belts, tires and that sort of stuff...Glad you were close to home...

Bike
    09 ultra black
    Yeah glad I was close to home to I talk to the independent dealer that put my belt on and two pulleys and I had to have an inner primary bearing at that time or year and a half ago he contacted panther belts and he said no he did offer to put it on at a reduced rate I said well right now don't really have the money . I found a used belt d that a trike manufacture was taking off from the 2013 with only 12,000 miles and I got it for 48 bucks I've put belt on before but that was the Evo years I looked in my manual and it's about the same so I'll put it on , .
    "If a crash at the home airfield is inevitable, try to hit something soft and, preferably, inexpensive"

What a bliss to fight your inner conflicts and wake up with a chaos filled mind. And above all else the streak of sarcasm that wouldn't leave your side
    To our Soldiers, past an present, Thank You an God bless you....... Click here to enlarge...LORD I live by your Will. I shall die when you desire; Save me because you can..." "Never was fount so clear,
    undimmed and bright;

Bike
    2004 GeezerGlide Classic
    Good luck...I know some that have 100,000 + miles on them...I replaced one back in 2001 only because it has a piece of gravel that went through the center of the belt...I only knew there was something wrong because there was a constant clicking...Finally raised the bike and spun the tire to listen for the click and then saw the gravel coming through the belt...Shit happens as they say...

Haha, great story Marc. So one lasted 12,000 and one lasted 100,000. What is the life expectancy usually?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    When the game of life throws you a curve
    twist the wick and learn to swerve~~Wino
    Grey Ghost is a 2001 Softail STD S&S Super E w/ High flow filter, Python Pipes

Bike
    2005 Dyna FXD/ 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GreyGhost Click here to enlarge
    Haha, great story Marc. So one lasted 12,000 and one lasted 100,000. What is the life expectancy usually?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Got 70,000 on my 09 Ultra and presently have 77,000 + on my Victory OEM original belts ..
    2005 Dyna FXD Stage 2/ 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse

Bike
    2002 Road King
    I had to put a new belt on my 2002 Road king last year, it just broke after i came to a stop sitting at a traffic light, unfortunately for me i was 30 miles from the Chesapeke Bay Bridge, we were on our way to Myrtle Beach South Carolina, Coming from New Jersey we chose to take the ferry across into Delaware and pick up route 13 and take the scenic route down, anyway up until that point it was a great ride, after stopping for a red light the light goes green i accelerated and nothing, then noticed i had a broken belt had to get the bike flat bedded to the nearest HD dealer and got to ride over the bridge in a tow truck, not the best $200 dollars i ever spent! prior to taking the trip i posted on here about wether i should repair a flat tire on the bike or buy a new one, I decided to have a new tire installed and i was always curios if the dealer at home should have noticed a belt problem, but at the dealer where they put the belt on i asked how long a belt should last they told me there is no belt schedule and they have replaced them at 30k 60k and 100k miles, so i don't know but i find it hard to believe there is no recomended change intervals considering most cars that have timing belt say to change them around 80k miles. More about the trip after getting the bike repaired we proceeded on our way to Myrtle Beach 40 miles down the highway my speedometer started going crazy the needle was pinning back and forth randomly and worse than that if i released the throttle the bike wanted to stall, after pulling over at the next rest area and looking things over i decided as long as this bike would stay running i would just stay on the throttle and ride it into Myrtle Beach, it was a pain in the a$$ but the bike made it to the next HD dealer in Myrtle Beach and the next day they ended up putting in a new speed sensor that went bad, Great this fixed my problem and the next day driving through Myrtle Beach my wifes bike a 2006 Ultra Classic she lose her rear brakes, so now we are at another HD dealer on the other side of Myrtle Beach they take the bike in and they had to replace the rear brake switch that broke or went bad and apparently the fluid runs throught the brake switch and if that switch breaks you lose your brakes, so another $200.00 and were on our way and by the way at this point i'm just a little numb to all this and rather than cry about it just decided to make the best of a bad situation and have a good time we were still able to do all the events and see and do the things we wanted to do largely because in all my situations HD really did a great job, knowing your from out of town and on vacation they really do their best to fix your bike and get you back on the road right away. And this is not the first time i have broken down away from home, on another trip to Americade my RK broke down at 10:AM on the NY thruway and another $200.00 tow to Moroney's HD 30 milesaway, i was told if i could get it there before noon they might be able to get me on my way the same day, they removed the primary cover and found the drum gear was stripped and at 6:00 i was back on the road again, i just couldn't ask for better than that. Well to end this bad luck story on the way home from Myrtle Beach the shifter pedal falls off on the turnpike somewhere not the arm just the pedal, on the bike i carry some tools so an allen key through the hole in the arm tied together with a ty wrap got me the rest of the way home, i have concluded my bike gets mad if we leave New Jersey !!

Bike
    2009 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic
    Dang WRK, quite a story. Glad you were able to keep your spirits up and make the best out of a bad situation!

I had my rear brake switch on my 2009 Ultra replaced two years ago under a recall.

I also agree, the two times I broke down on the road (once in Mobile, AL and once in Baton Rouge, LA) the nearest Harley dealer bent over backwards to get me back on the road, and the one in Baton Rouge only charged me for parts....I wrote Harley Corporate a letter both times complimenting those dealers and mentioned the names of those who helped (I wrote them down). Harley sent me back a very nice, hand-written note saying how much they appreciated me taking the time to point out great service and that it was important to them to hear that....I still have the letter.
    Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose!

Bike
    09 ultra black
    Wild time ... life with mechanized stuff :>

undimmed and bright;

Bike
    66 FLH,79FXE,,07Ultra
    Glad you were still able to enjoy your trip anyways. My wife calls our trips like this "adventures."
    RIP T

+ Reply to Thread