HarleyTalking
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bike
    2017 EG Ultra Ltd CVO
    Welcome from BC West Coast Canada.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." Robert Frost.
    "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving." Albert Einstein.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." Isaac Asimov.

Bike
    2017 TriGlide
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Azrider Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge from Arizona. What differences have you noticed so far?
    The Spyder RTL is the touring model. The seat on the RTL is higher than the seat on the TriGlide. I am only 5'7" and I can sit on the TriGlide, feet flat on the floor with my knees bent. The sitting position on the Spyder is more like being on a Gold Wing with the floor boards directly under the rider. Another difference is the Spyder only has a foot brake to control all the brakes and the brakes are ABS. I like having the hand brake on the TriGlide and the brakes are somewhat integrated whether using the hand or foot brake with no ABS. I rarely ever hear someone complain about the OEM tires on a Harley. I rarely ever ran into to someone who liked the OEM tires on a Spyder. When traveling, it seems like there is a Harley dealership or shop around every corner. Good luck with the Spyder. Body and component fit goes hands-down to Harley. Doing almost anything to the Spyder meant taking body panels off. The 107 ME engine gets better gas mileage than either Rotax engine. The setup of the computer side of the Spyder does allow for changes to the air cleaner and cat removal by just letting it sit and idle for 10 minutes after changes are made.
    As far as the rides, they are obviously two different machines. I installed a heavy duty swaybar and shock adjusters on the Spyder to give it a more solid ride. I will say when the Spyder is properly aligned, it can fly through the twisties. I went down Iron Mountain (south of Mt. Rushmore) road last summer and it was a blast. The day after I got back home, both front tires were flat. That being said, I feel just as comfortable taking curves on the TriGlide. It feels solid. The TriGlide for me is just as easy to ride as the Spyder RTL.
    I enoyed riding the Spyder, but I am happy being back on a Harley.

Thanks for taking the time for the response. Very informative. Click here to enlarge
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Bike
    2018 FLHTCU Ultra
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Azrider Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for taking the time for the response. Very informative. Click here to enlarge

Ditto! Nice write-up Kingfish, thanks!
    Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose!

Welcome from SE North Carolina.

tarheel

Bike
    2008 105th Anny Ultra
    Welcome from VT
    Click here to enlarge I blame soos Click here to enlarge

Bike
    2010 Ultra Limited
    Welcome from Northern California!
    Click here to enlarge
    It is difficult for depression to catch you if you have a fast motorcycle...

Moderator / Sergeant at Arms clutchglass's Avatar

Bike
    2015 FLHX Streetglide Special
    Welcome home man...and yes that was a GREAT write up. I have always had an interest in the spyder. It seems to me like there would be no comparison on the cornering....I would imagine the spyder wins hands down.....you make it sound otherwise. Interesting!
    -clutch-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The enemy has us surrounded again...those poor bastards!" -Gen Creighton Abrams-

Bike
    2004 Heritage, 2012 Ultra Limited
    Hello and welcome from Minnesota. Thank you for taking the time to compare rides.

Bike
    2017 TriGlide
    On roads like Iron Mountain and what we have in the Ozarks/southern Missouri areas, the Spyder does have an advantage over the TriGlide. Especially the sport models and the new F3. The Spyder RT/RTL are touring models that compare more to the TriGlide. I installed a heavy duty swaybar and shock adjusters on mine to stiffen up the front end that allowed me to take curves faster. The problem for me was the OEM tires. The RT/RTL weighs in at around 1000#. Then add the driver, possibly a passenger and fill the four luggage compartments that can add another 300# to over 400#. The OEM tires have the appearance of being car tires, but are for motorcycles only. They do not have the sidewall strength of a car tire. My front tires with only 14k miles were severely stress cracked and would not hold air. If they are out of alignment there are the same problems that you have with a car. On normal roads that have what I consider normal curves (no switchbacks) the TriGlide handles just as well as the RTL did. For myself, I don't feel that it takes anymore effort to drive the TriGlide than the RTL. Another plus for the TriGlide is that it does not seem to be affected very much by strong, gusting winds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12