HarleyTalking
+ Reply to Thread

Bike
    04 Sportster

Battery Tender pigtail

Ok I'm pretty much electrically challenged so here is my question. I want to install Battery Tender pigtail to my 2004 Sporty. I know the red goes to the positive cable which I have easy access to. Can I hook up the black negative wire to any bolt on the bike for a ground or do I have to use the battery post.

The Sporty has the negative cable grounded down on the frame.

Bike
    2017 RGU Blackhills gold and black-96 FB Black with sidecar
    Yes long as it is grounded Make sure you use a fused pig tail un-fused ones can become a nightmare
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Bike
    04 Sportster
    Thanks Smitty

Bike
    2009 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic
    I would also ensure that the screw (bolt) you place it under has some good contact with the steel of the frame.....often when picking up a ground, trouble starts when the screw is loose (or the tapped hole is slightly too large), paint gets between the screw and your wire, rust/corrosion builds up losing your contact, wire vibrates too much and gets loose (or broken). Try to use a crimp terminal on the end of the wire also.

I would also offer....since, what you are connecting is the battery tender, which is intended to float charge the battery, the best place for these particular connections would be the battery terminals themselves.
    Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 07-25-2017 at 06:51 AM.
    Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose!

Bike
    2005 Dyna FXD/ 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse
    Owning an 04 Sportster have no clue why the put the Negative Side is inside the far and hard to reach Terminal which is supposed to come off first but it is doable ..
    2005 Dyna FXD Stage 2/ 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse

Bike
    04 Sportster
    Yeah I loosened everything and tugged on the battery and it came out a few inches so I thought I'd try a ground wire other than the negative cable. But I'll try getting the Battery out again tomorrow.

Bike
    2009 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ImMrBill Click here to enlarge
    Yeah I loosened everything and tugged on the battery and it came out a few inches so I thought I'd try a ground wire other than the negative cable. But I'll try getting the Battery out again tomorrow.

certainly not a deal breaker as (like Smitty alluded too), based on how the DC system works, any negative will get you a completed loop. Can you access the point where the battery terminal connects to the frame (another good point)? I try to get as close and solid a connection to the battery terminals as possible for the Battery Tender, and this is partially for peace-of-mind (which is a consideration for me), also (of a somewhat lesser consideration) is the lower resistance in completing the loop for a more efficient function of the tender itself.
    Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose!

+ Reply to Thread