HarleyTalking
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 6

Bike
    2000 Ultra Classic
    The separate hardware mounting kit I bought did have higher quality fasteners. Allen head instead of phillips screws, nylock nuts instead of regular, and these: I used the upgraded hardware to more easily guide the front piece in.
    Click here to enlargeHardware upgrade by Fred Snider, on Flickr

Bike
    2000 Ultra Classic
    Over all, it just looked like cheap abs plastic. From what I've seen on the web, the higher priced after market ones are the exact same thing. I don't know what the factory lowers are made of. The quality isn't the greatest, in fact, the plastic buttons that pressed in and the flap buttoned to had to be trimmed with a razor because of the flashing from the plastic mold seam.
    Click here to enlargeSad quality by Fred Snider, on Flickr

Bike
    2000 Ultra Classic
    For $65, I'm gonna ride with these sumbitches on until they fall off. I do like riding with these on, and with the vents, I should be comfy in the summer too.
    Click here to enlargeOn by Fred Snider, on Flickr

Bike
    2000 Ultra Classic
    Quick note, I didn't like how loose the upper part was on the crash bar. I took a section of rubber hose and split it. Then I stuck it in there so it'd have something to press against. Holds firm now.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Bike
    2009 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flame Click here to enlarge
    Quick note, I didn't like how loose the upper part was on the crash bar. I took a section of rubber hose and split it. Then I stuck it in there so it'd have something to press against. Holds firm now.

The bracket showing in post #50 that attaches the upper portion to the crash bar looks similar to the factory one on mine. Mine also seems "loose" at times (I notice when I'm polishing), it's only slight, but every now and then when I bump up against it I detect it moved ever so slightly (at other times I don't notice). I deduced that was to give it some freedom and flex when riding, I assumed you didn't want the plastic solidly anchored at all point or it might not handle the flexing and vibration well, as well as any temperature extremes it may go through throughout the day and year in, year out.
    Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 6