HarleyTalking
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bike
    2008 XL1200R

Can you raise the rev limit on an EFI Sportster

I have just picked up a nice 2008 1200 Roadster. It is my first EFI bike. Both my '88 XL1200 and my '01 FXDX would respond to the available Screamin' Eagle ignition module. With high-flow filter, SuperTrapp 2 into 1 exhaust, would pull strongly well past the original rev limit. I know many would say that this either offers no benefit or will make exploding pieces/parts, but that has not been my experience, and I prefer picking ny own shift points. I have spoken to the very knowledgeable and helpful folks at FuelMoto about FuelPak 3, Dynotek Power vision, and Power Commander V. They say none of these will allow a bump to the rev limit. Does anyone here know if there is any way to do this?

Thanks,

John

Bike
    modified 2007 V-Rod DX
    It makes no sense and very little benefit to rev past peak power. The bike stops pulling and you are just spinning the engine needlessly.
    “What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so.”

Bike
    2009 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic
    good answer
    (p.s. welcome aboard CalRayborn from Houston, Texas)
    Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose!

Bike
    2008 XL1200R

Raising the revs

Thanks, all. I am excited to find this board, which seems to offer serious advice. I don't think I will read much about Rawhide hanging from handlebar grips.

Both Bob and Blackbird have given advice on the problems/necessity of upping the rev limit. Not to be cheeky, but the question remains, "Can you do it"?

I know everyone's experiences are diferrent. Mine not be the same. But when I had my first Sportster, In roll-ons in second gear to top end, my Buddy's BMW R90S pulled strongly away from me. After Supertrapp, High-flow filter and SE module. I easily outran him under identical conditions. To do that, I turned up to about 6,800 rpm. I didn't bang the rev limiter.

I just now searched Google for stock Sporster power curves. I'll give a website for one of a XL883, stock. This graph and any number of others shows power does not fall of at rev limit. If I shift at 6,800, I will catch the gear higher up the power/torque range. http://motorcycleworkshop.com.au/gal..._883_Chart.htm

I do appreciate the input, and I would still love to find a solution the rev limiter issue.

Bike
    modified 2007 V-Rod DX
    I know for for an absolute it can be done with certain after-market peripheral tuners. I'm also sure the revs limiter on a stock computer can also be raised using a dyno.

I don't know about "random dyno charts on the internet", but HD, nor any other MoCo would set a rev limiter in front of peak power. They are generally well beyond Peak. Your limiter is set where it is for very good reasons.
    Last edited by BlackBird; 10-11-2017 at 03:18 AM.
    “What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so.”

Bike
    2005 Dyna FXD/ 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse
    Both Bob and Blackbird have given advice on the problems/necessity of upping the rev limit. Not to be cheeky, but the question remains, "Can you do it"?

I have no doubt it can be done even heard a few times of certain good Tuners doing it but not recommending it, personally when it comes to EFI don't know a hell of a lot why I love my 05 Carbed Dyna .. I see you took a Racers Name so probably are into speed, which is good, even some that think they are old timers don't remember Cal Rayborn, unless just happen to know Harley Racing History .. I do know that Jamie from Fuel Moto was Bumping the Rev Limit a Bit with the PVCX for the Thunderstroke 111 Indian Models for a short while, but no longer offers that option on it so I assume even he thought it was not a good idea ..
    2005 Dyna FXD Stage 2/ 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse

Bike
    2000 Ultra Classic
    Yeah, sorry I haven't been in this section much. Anyways, yes, a good aftermarket tuner like a powervision can indeed change your rev limit. That being said, unless you install some hotter cams, there's really no need. Add some cams and a Powervision, then bump the rev limiter to 6,800 or 7,000 !

Bike
    2005 Dyna FXD/ 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flame Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, sorry I haven't been in this section much. Anyways, yes, a good aftermarket tuner like a powervision can indeed change your rev limit. That being said, unless you install some hotter cams, there's really no need. Add some cams and a Powervision, then bump the rev limiter to 6,800 or 7,000 !
    Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
    2005 Dyna FXD Stage 2/ 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse

Bike
    2008 XL1200R
    When I first posted this thread, I had not yet ridden the bike. It came to me with forward pegs, and those things scare the Hell out of me. Decided to ride it anyway while waiting for my mid-controls to come in. To my surprise, the rev limiter doesn't kick in till 7,000. I have looked, but find no aftermarket module. I guess the problem is solved, but I have no idea why.

Bike
    2000 Ultra Classic
    That's pretty weird. I thought the limiter was set at 6 grand. I like drag bars and mids if I'm going to be hanging curves or hanging on. Forwards are for relaxing.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast