HarleyTalking
+ Reply to Thread

Oil Mixing Question

Maybe a strange question, but here goes.......I changed the engine oil in my bike yesterday. I use Mobil 1 V-Twin. My bike takes 4 qts (actually 3 1/2). Anyway, I have 1/2 qt. of Mobil One left over, and I want to change my primary oil today. I use Formula + in the primary, which takes 38 ounces, or 1 qt., 6 ounces. My question is this...instead of buying a whole extra qt. of Formula + to get the extra 6 ounces, can I use the extra Mobil One oil I have left over, and mix it with the Formula + to top off the primary? Will it "mix" OK, or would that be a no-no?

I'm no expert but if I am not mistaken formula+ is a blended oil not fully synthetic. Since mobile one is fully synthetic, if it were me I would spend the 12 bucks and not mix them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him. ~James D. Miles

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters. ~Alan Simpson

Bike
    2017 RGU Blackhills gold and black-96 FB Black with sidecar
    F+ is a straight W50 non SYN lube. Mixing it with M1 will not hurt a darn thing in primary. But consider this if you buy another quart you will have what you need for the several primary changes to add your 6 oz.
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Bike
    2008 105th Anny Ultra
    Personally, I've done that same exact thing a couple of times without any issue.
    Click here to enlarge I blame soos Click here to enlarge

Thanks guys!

Bike
    modified 2007 V-Rod DX
    The only issue with mixing oils is that they have different additives and the reactions can be undesirable. With that said, you will not have an issue short term but I would not recommend doing it often.
    “What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so.”

Oil Mixing Question

This is taken right from FAQ from the mobile one website:

"Can different synthetic engine oils be mixed together?

Mobil 1 is fully compatible with conventional engine oils, semi-synthetic engine oils and other synthetic engine oils if you need to mix them. However, it is important to note that the superior performance of Mobil 1 will be reduced by diluting it in any way."

http://m.mobil1.com.au/products/faq

Based on this, you're probably OK, in the primary for sure. I don't think I would do it anywhere other than the primary. But that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him. ~James D. Miles

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters. ~Alan Simpson

Bike
    09 ultra black
    Primary oil I have always liked the formula plus on some of the more technical forums it seems to protect the screaming Eagle or new scale compensator better because it seems to lack lubrication I think 30 weight or I’ll be fine to always has to do is keep the clutch wet and lubricate gears I have used either way formula plus or straight 30 weight are usually use the formula plus . So in conclusion if I’m a little short on the formula plus I just use basic 30 way oil
    From a WW1 RAF Flight Manual ...
    "If a crash at the home airfield is inevitable, try to hit something soft and, preferably, inexpensive"
    Popeye The Sailor - Wimpy The Moocher: http://youtu.be/Q7PFQ7SvH4o

What a bliss to fight your inner conflicts and wake up with a chaos filled mind. And above all else the streak of sarcasm that wouldn't leave your side
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m6ly...e_gdata_player
    To our Soldiers, past an present, Thank You an God bless you....... Click here to enlarge...LORD I live by your Will. I shall die when you desire; Save me because you can..." "Never was fount so clear,
    undimmed and bright;
    From it alone, I know proceeds all light
    although 'tis night. .St John of the CROSS.."
    Let me get through today, and I shall not fear tomorrow." ST. Philip Neri.!! **
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    modified 2007 V-Rod DX
    All you need to know without a particular company sponsoring it.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.74neGEzCO9A

People also ask: Can you mix different brands of oil in a car?

Myth: You can't mix brands of motor oil.

Fact: Mixing brands is not the best practice because the additive systems in each may be different and when mixed may not function as efficiently as desired. However, no serious problems will occur if you must add a different brand of equivalent quality between oil changes."
    “What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so.”

+ Reply to Thread