HarleyTalking
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bike
    09 ultra black

Cold-weather none start-ish

Last week it was 24į and it started slower but it started my bike. The last two mornings have been frosty but 31į started even slower after about 30 seconds it did start it really smells like gasoline. Once it starts. Also it seems to start slower and take longer if itís been damp or raining and my bike go sit outside to give you as much information as possible my battery is I think three years old yeah Iím on my second battery. Now one of those mornings it was 37į did the same thing. Itís seem to start better when it was dry and 24į. I cleaned all the connections on the battery , I pulled out the plug and put in a new her well I got about three or four old set of plugs I clean them off and put them in and it acted the same this morning I have it on my charger but still it takes 20 to 30 seconds to start now I didnít count it but it sure is a lot longer than the summertime. Next step may be fuel pressure but I donít have a fuel pressure gauge am I headed in the right direction and is one of those gauges Expensive. If you can think of anything else I should do let me know if my bike is a 2009 FLH thank you
    From a WW1 RAF Flight Manual ...
    "If a crash at the home airfield is inevitable, try to hit something soft and, preferably, inexpensive"
    Popeye The Sailor - Wimpy The Moocher: http://youtu.be/Q7PFQ7SvH4o

What a bliss to fight your inner conflicts and wake up with a chaos filled mind. And above all else the streak of sarcasm that wouldn't leave your side
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m6ly...e_gdata_player
    To our Soldiers, past an present, Thank You an God bless you....... Click here to enlarge...LORD I live by your Will. I shall die when you desire; Save me because you can..." "Never was fount so clear,
    undimmed and bright;
    From it alone, I know proceeds all light
    although 'tis night. .St John of the CROSS.."
    Let me get through today, and I shall not fear tomorrow." ST. Philip Neri.!! **
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    2000 Ultra Classic
    I can think of a few things, but the first one to jump in my head is water in the fuel. I blame ethanol for that. That crap attracts moisture. But I'm in Ga, and I don't have fuel injection, so I have never had this problem. The other thing I can think of is summer thicker oil. Try cutting the key on to listen to the fuel pump wind up, cut it off, and do it one more time to see if that does anything. Maybe that will help prime up the fuel for delivery.

Bike
    2017 RGU Blackhills gold and black-96 FB Black with sidecar
    Even 20/50 syn gets thick at those temps. My EVO is hard to start below 20 degrees it turns hard. It may help to pull the clutch in even when in N.
    Throw an electric blanket over it for a day or so. Don't laugh been there done that.
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Tom, do you have a battery tender? I agree with making sure you have no water in your fuel, other than that, I would look directly at the battery. Especially if you have made sure your spark plugs are good condition. When I say that, Iím not talking about grabbing plugs off your shelf , Iím talking about brand new plugs. If your fuel is clean, and your plugs are good, I would look at your battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him. ~James D. Miles

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters. ~Alan Simpson

Bike
    09 ultra black
    Well first off I do ride every day now I may miss a day now and then the battery is it 12.75 I have a ctak charger it reconditioned bats and maintains bat , I checked it tonight I put the screaming Eagle plugs and I bought for about five years ago I’ve tried different plugs I probably got 10 plugs five sets it all starts about the same when it’s cold it’ll start. But it takes about 30 seconds or more and smells a lot like gas watch it starts. So that leads me to believe it’s not firing I had this problem several years ago I took it to the dealer when it was under extended warranty they would not leave it outside to replicate the cold weather we left it in the shop which was 65 or 70į and of course it started perfectly they said there’s nothing wrong with the bike and that’s it that’s how the dealers around here you learn to live with it. I gas up probably once every two weeks so if there’s water in the gas it’s from the Phillips 66 station which it never happens in the summertime. I don’t buy gas at the cheap cheap station I buy it at a brand-name where at least I Soum the brand-name station. So I think it’s because something either gets damp or because of the coldness it just doesn’t fire office soon and that maybe just how it is. I will keep looking for explanations I don’t have a pressure gauge friend of mine suggested day actual pressure gauge for the fuel I change the fuel filter about 25,000 miles ago and the one I took out at that time was a little dark but once it dried it was pretty white .
    "If a crash at the home airfield is inevitable, try to hit something soft and, preferably, inexpensive"

What a bliss to fight your inner conflicts and wake up with a chaos filled mind. And above all else the streak of sarcasm that wouldn't leave your side
    To our Soldiers, past an present, Thank You an God bless you....... Click here to enlarge...LORD I live by your Will. I shall die when you desire; Save me because you can..." "Never was fount so clear,
    undimmed and bright;

Bike
    2015 CVO Ultra Limited
    Tom I would go with a block heater or the electric blanket idea.
    If you can keep the block warm I think it would turn over quicker and start better.
    Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Cold-weather none start-ish

I donít disagree with a block heater or electric blanket, but you had eight years of no problem, somethings changed. I still think I would lean toward a battery as long as your plugs are good and your fuel is clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him. ~James D. Miles

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters. ~Alan Simpson

Bike
    09 ultra black
    Well I think about four years after I owned it and it was really cold that winter thatís the time that it wouldnít start and I put the strobe light and it wasnít firing on in a timely manner on either front or rear cylinder the light was not lighting regularly while it was cranking I explain that to the dealer but thatís the time they wouldnít leave it outside or keep it where it was cold to replicate the problem and I just brought it home because they said it works and starts fine. I struck the screaming eagle plugs back in after cleaning them last night and it started well this morning right off the bat it was 43į and quite damp something is not allowing the spark to fire normally and thatís why I think well I know if it turns over a bunch of times and tries to fire once it does start it really smells gassy for me exhaust battery checked out at 12.75 V last night so I think if youíre on a cold night I would just put it in the barn something when itís cold and cold makes things get smaller it could be a connection somewhere Iíll just keep an eye on how things go now once I get to work if itís there for eight hours and fires right up no matter how cold it is but it usually does get warmer in the day so just Try to use the information thanks everyone
    Last edited by Tom; 11-15-2017 at 09:22 AM.

undimmed and bright;

Bike
    2009 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic
    are your cables OK? (no one has brought that up yet)
    Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose!

Bike
    09 ultra black
    Cables look good I cleaned off the battery area where the boat to the battery Sam is it down on the battery in on the cable ends I also added some metallic type grease I would always use on large overhead cable’s for a house I think it’s anti-oxidization stuff so I think I illuminated that

undimmed and bright;

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast