HarleyTalking
+ Reply to Thread

Boom Audio & Bluetooth

I have a 2014 Ultra Limited with the Boom Audio. I would like to add Bluetooth headsets that will sink with the radio. Has anyone accomplished this task & if so How?
    Thanks!

Bike
    2000 Ultra Classic
    Do you have the headsets already?

Tetris Champion!
    Bike
    2018 FLHTK
    I just added the HD WHIM, and a pair of HD branded Sena 20S Evo headsets to my 2018 Ultra Limited.

This will work on your 2014 FLHTK as well.

If you use the CB, there will be a separate harness to purchase, as the one included doesn't provide CB functionality on pre-2018 bikes.

HD just released a few videos on how the WHIM and headsets work.

WHIM:
    https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...terface-module

Alternate Harness:
    https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...module-harness

Single Headset:
    https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...single-headset

Dual Headset:
    https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...l-headset-pack

WHIM Video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U002r5LrKq4

HD 20S Evo Headset Video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U002r5LrKq4
    __________________________________________________ __

2018 FLHTK
    1965 FLHFB
    2016.5 XL1200CX (Buh Bye)
    2015 FLHTK (C Ya)
    2011 FLHTK (Gonzo)
    2009 FLHX (gone)
    2004 FLHTCUI (gonner)
    2003 FLTRI/FLHTCI (farther gone)
    1999 FLHR (long gone)
    1981 FXE (gonnest)

A wife, three daughters, and even my GPS tells me what to do!

Bike
    2017 RGU Blackhills gold and black-96 FB Black with sidecar
    Two ways Freewire or the HD WHIM. In the end WHIM will cost you less and work better. I have the WHIM installed. You are better off with the HD version of the SENA S20 it will do full stereo . Sena S20 will not.
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Thumbs up

No, I do not have the Headsets.

Thanks for the info. Several months ago, when I checked, HD did not have anything available. Nice to know they have it out now.

Bike
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bonzy Click here to enlarge
    No, I do not have the Headsets.

Thanks for the info. Several months ago, when I checked, HD did not have anything available. Nice to know they have it out now.
    WHIM came out the About the time 2018 were released. It requires the WHIM interface, A harness , a flash download and the install. This is not cheap but work the deals.
    I paid $124 for the install That included the flash download ,at that price I let them do it.
    With discount I paid $300 for both WHIM and the harness https://www.harley-davidson.com/shop...terface-module
    You must get the hardness also no way around that no madder what anyone tries to tell you.
    We already had SENA S20's , They will get Replaced with the HD version next season
    Also some will try to tell you after the install the wired connections will not work. That is not true. There is a learning curve with this setup. Once installed you are 100% wireless.
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Thanks!

Bike
    2014 Limited
    I use the Freewire. I installed it in the little compartment in the fairing. Despite what was said above, I think it is significantly less expensive than the whim. And works with all sena 4.0 headsets, you don't have to buy the HD model Sena or flash the head unit. If you have any modern Sena headset (not Bluetooth 3.0) it is $250 dollars for the Freewire, and gives you full functionality. I use it with a 20s and a 10c.
    I understand that there is an argument that 2 Freewires are required to use the intercom through the head unit, but if you and your passenger both have wireless headsets, you already have an intercom connection.

Not including any discounts:
    Whim 300
    Module 50
    Install and flash 125
    HD branded 20s 550 (duel set)
    Total $1025

Freewire 250
    20s (Cycle Gear) 400 (duel set)
    Can also use 10s, 10c, Calvary etc.
    Total $650
    Even with 2 freewires total is $900.

Now the cheapest option if you just want music in your helmet is a Bluetooth transmitter and a 7 pin to 3.5 adapter. This can run anywhere from $25 to $150, plus the cost of the headsets. (can use older cheap headsets)

I think the integration into the head unit is a nice feature, but if you want to keep it simple,have full functionality, and save a few bucks, I think the Freewire would be the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bike
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jrparsons Click here to enlarge
    I use the Freewire. I installed it in the little compartment in the fairing. Despite what was said above, I think it is significantly less expensive than the whim. And works with all sena 4.0 headsets, you don't have to buy the HD model Sena or flash the head unit. If you have any modern Sena headset (not Bluetooth 3.0) it is $250 dollars for the Freewire, and gives you full functionality. I use it with a 20s and a 10c.
    I understand that there is an argument that 2 Freewires are required to use the intercom through the head unit, but if you and your passenger both have wireless headsets, you already have an intercom connection.

Not including any discounts:
    Whim 300
    Module 50
    Install and flash 125
    HD branded 20s 550 (duel set)
    Total $1025

Freewire 250
    20s (Cycle Gear) 400 (duel set)
    Can also use 10s, 10c, Calvary etc.
    Total $650
    Even with 2 freewires total is $900.

Now the cheapest option if you just want music in your helmet is a Bluetooth transmitter and a 7 pin to 3.5 adapter. This can run anywhere from $25 to $150, plus the cost of the headsets. (can use older cheap headsets)

I think the integration into the head unit is a nice feature, but if you want to keep it simple,have full functionality, and save a few bucks, I think the Freewire would be the way to go.

Free wire no stereo sound, hardware every where. It can only do one headset if you want a passenger to use it you must buy two and wire it in somewhere also. Lot of down sides to free wire.
    I was almost ready to go with it just before WHIM was released. Happy I waited.
    WHIM will use any wireless head set also. The HD branded S20 is the only one that will give full stereo sound.
    Dianne Feinstein:

Bike
    2014 Limited
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by smitty901 Click here to enlarge
    Free wire no stereo sound, hardware every where. It can only do one headset if you want a passenger to use it you must buy two and wire it in somewhere also. Lot of down sides to free wire.
    I was almost ready to go with it just before WHIM was released. Happy I waited.
    WHIM will use any wireless head set also. The HD branded S20 is the only one that will give full stereo sound.
    This isn't correct. The Freewire has full stereo sound, the CB functions, it can be hidden with 15 minutes of labor, you can use music sharing between the headsets, you have 100% of the voice functions . I've been using it for quite a while.

What you don't get with the Freewire is the intercom with your passenger through the head unit, unless you buy a second unit, which plugs into the the rear 7 pin. But then you will have 2 intercoms, the one on the bike and the one directly through the headsets.

I think both are viable options, I just want the OP to understand, there are 3 good options, at various price points with various functions available, I have never used the WHIM, so I can't speak to what functions are or aren't available with that choice.

My bike is wrapped up for the winter so I can't show you the install. You would never know I have the Freewire on my bike, it's completely hidden,which I did myself in 30 minutes. If I had any mechanical ability, it would have been done in 15 minutes.

In the original post the OP states he wants to wirelessly link his headset to the stereo. If music is the only concern then it can be done for $125, including a headset. I have been streaming stereo sound to my headsets since 2014. The transmitter I used is from sena, and costs about $125. I streamed to two SMH10 headsets. I later replaced that set up with the Freewire, a 20s and a 10c.

I can post a YouTube video on my channel showing the functions if I uncover my bike in the garage for any reason. If I do I'll post the link here.

+ Reply to Thread