HarleyTalking
+ Reply to Thread

Thoughts on depreciation vs 2 year trade

While l am planning on upgrading in a couple months and have been considering a 2018 Limited, l saw a 2016 Limited Screaming Eagle with less than 5,000 miles (just reduced from $34,500) for the same price as a new 2018 Limited.

So, l was thinking the 2016 would keep its value longer since it had a higher MSRP when new vs the 2018 with some added accessories that won't count on resale.

However, the M8 platform may well cause a swifter depreciation of the pre-M8's.

Probably no way to really tell. And putting 100,000 + on either one it may not matter.

Also, thinking the cost of trading every two years may be a consideration instead of $12,000 in upgrades and 100,000 + miles on a 7 year old bike with a straight-to-auction trade-in value.

Wondering what the cost is involved in trading new bikes every 2 years. Anybody have thoughts/info to offer?
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Bike
    2017 RGU Blackhills gold and black-96 FB Black with sidecar
    Seaming Eagle, Cvo's don't really hold market value any better. Plus if you put any miles on them they fall like a rock. The M8 rules the day in every way now.
    Trading every couple of years works if you want to saty in a newer ride and avoid repairs and break downs. The problem is if you ride. High miles bikes no madder how nice go up against very low mileage used ones. to many bikes for sale that have very low miles on them.
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Tetris Champion!
    Bike
    2018 FLHTK
    The price drops sharply at 75,000 miles because they can't sell a warranty after that. I think there's an age limitation too. As far as depreciation, just go to KBB or NADA and create a list of retail or trade-in values for your limited for each of the last 7 model years. I did this a few months ago. I used MSRP for 2018, and just subtracted the value from the prior year to give me an idea of running depreciation values.

As far as the 2016 CVO goes, it's a twin cam, and that's old news. That doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't a good bike, but the values won't hold for many more years, especially if you try to sell private and not trade-in. In my research, most of the cost of the CVO is baked into the paint job, so if you don't love that, and I mean LOVE it, it's not worth it from a money standpoint. I've been financially capable of a CVO purchase for the last few bikes, but couldn't get past the analysis, and the fact that I didn't LOVE the bike. I test rode a 2018 FLHTKSE, just to see if I could change my mind, and still couldn't see or feel the extra dollars.

In my opinion, the longer you keep a bike, the less you lose when transitioning. The first two years of depreciation are easily the worst. The exercise I described above will illustrate this. But, as mentioned, if you keep longer than 7years or 75K miles, that might not be great advice, and 5,4 or even 3 years might turn into a better option.

All of this is VERY generalized advice, based on my own experience of purchasing 10 bikes over the last 20 or so years.

YMMV
    __________________________________________________ __

2018 FLHTK
    1965 FLHFB
    2016.5 XL1200CX (Buh Bye)
    2015 FLHTK (C Ya)
    2011 FLHTK (Gonzo)
    2009 FLHX (gone)
    2004 FLHTCUI (gonner)
    2003 FLTRI/FLHTCI (farther gone)
    1999 FLHR (long gone)
    1981 FXE (gonnest)

A wife, three daughters, and even my GPS tells me what to do!

Thanks for the info. l have looked at NADA on some bikes and mine, but didn't see anywhere to put in mileage. And the accessory items didn't seem to be very accurate. Right now l'm not sure what my trade-in will be. l guess l'll find out that when the time comes. l'm planning on pulling a few things off before it goes in. l put around $14,000 in accessories on that darn thing.
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

In my humble opinion, which may or may not make sense to everybody, I would buy the 2018. As long as you keep your bikes and as many miles you put on, by the time you get ready to get rid of it I think the M8 will be worth more. Plus you’re riding a scooter that is superior, at least in most peoples opinions. Anyway, I would buy the 2018 if it were me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him. ~James D. Miles

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters. ~Alan Simpson

Bike
    When I compare the M8 I am comparing it to the same bike that had 103 HO. Having had 3 103's and rode the M8 on the same roads same trips loaded up the same way. It is easy to tell the M8 is the better engine and drive line.
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Bike
    2005 Dyna FXD/ 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse Stage 1
    Been given some excellent advice up above so won't try to add much except I would go for the 2018 unless the Looks and Feel of that CVO just screams out " This Is Me " If that's the Case , Go For It ..
    2005 Dyna FXD Stage 2/ 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse

Tetris Champion!
    Bike
    2018 FLHTK
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Azrider Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the info. l have looked at NADA on some bikes and mine, but didn't see anywhere to put in mileage. And the accessory items didn't seem to be very accurate. Right now l'm not sure what my trade-in will be. l guess l'll find out that when the time comes. l'm planning on pulling a few things off before it goes in. l put around $14,000 in accessories on that darn thing.

Your miles are going to make it difficult to find a good trade-in value. This might be one of those "suck it up" moments, the price of enjoying your ride when others leave them parked. Defiantly pull as many accessories as you can. Those will not get you anything on trade, but cost full price to replace. I've started to limit the number of accessories that I put on bikes as I buy them, since I've determined how much I lose when selling. I generally keep about $3K worth of extras when switching bikes, and only leave the stuff that's time consuming or worn. For instance, last fall, I left the adjustable backrest mount on the bike because I think it was starting to fail. I also left the chrome fork sliders and handlebars, because they're a bit of a pain for me to swap. I didn't leave much else on the bike.

I kept my seat, windshield, "keystone" tail lights, cup holder, gps and mount, tour pak organizer, backrest and organizer, black fuel door, heel shifter eliminator, windshield pouches, tour pak rack bag, saddlebag organizers, tool pack, luggage, and probably some other stuff. Most of it went on the new ride, after I cleaned it up.
    __________________________________________________ __

2018 FLHTK
    1965 FLHFB
    2016.5 XL1200CX (Buh Bye)
    2015 FLHTK (C Ya)
    2011 FLHTK (Gonzo)
    2009 FLHX (gone)
    2004 FLHTCUI (gonner)
    2003 FLTRI/FLHTCI (farther gone)
    1999 FLHR (long gone)
    1981 FXE (gonnest)

A wife, three daughters, and even my GPS tells me what to do!

Bike
    When I traded the 2016 for the M8 it was not when I had planned. Knew I would trade when I retired the next year . Stopped in Dealer and a joking conversation in minutes turned into a trade. Retired a bit early.
    Worked well for me . My 2016 had miles on it for a bike less than a year old. Had I waited another month it would have trade a much less. M8's were already effecting sales of new and used 2016's.
    Among other things going on in motorcycle sales.
    Worked well for some thing not planned that way.
    The 2017 is the first one I have pretty much left alone. Extended brake pedal, Adjustable clutch lever, Filler lights in rear LED rear fender tip. And the WHIM wireless.
    Dianne Feinstein:

+ Reply to Thread