HarleyTalking
+ Reply to Thread

Bike
    2008 Fat Bob, 103 Big Bore St II - tuned

2008 fat bob w/103 big bore stage II and tune *oil cooler upgade*

Good day,

New to the site/forum. Wanted to ask if there is value in upgrading stock oil cooler for hot days, in slow traffic etc. If so, any recommendations. Yes, I am aware the requirement for air over the cooler surface to cool the oil whole concept. Lol

Thoughts on reducing oil temp.

Thanks

D

Bike
    2017 RGU Blackhills gold and black-96 FB Black with sidecar
    The heat is in the heads not the oil it's self. Cooling oil will not reduce head temps once engine is warmed up. Anyone that say different is selling snake oil.
    If you want to cool the heads you need air flow. There are a few good fans that will move air across heads will drop head temps.
    Lenale makes one I used for years ,there are others.
    Heres is how it works Head have most of the heat. The small amount of oil that goes to the heads is to provide lube. The very small amount of heat that oil carries away with it has little cooling effect.
    That is what heats the oil and engine up. The flow is not enough for cooler oil to reduce those temperatures.
    Some where I have a long test that shows how dropping the head temps does cause a major reduction in temps. old post so it will not come up on search I will keep looking.
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Bike
    2008 105th Anny Ultra
    Welcome from VT. Smitty makes a good point. Living in VT, I took off my aftermarket oil cooler I had installed because it was more trouble than it was worth. It doesn’t get real hot up here. I assume where you are would be similar. Air flow would be better for you.
    Click here to enlarge I blame soos Click here to enlarge

Bike
    09 ultra black
    Hello from Indiana
    And welcome
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    66 FLH,79FXE,,07Ultra
    Welcome from Wisconsin.
    RIP T

Bike
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by smitty901 Click here to enlarge
    The heat is in the heads not the oil it's self. Cooling oil will not reduce head temps once engine is warmed up. Anyone that say different is selling snake oil.
    If you want to cool the heads you need air flow. There are a few good fans that will move air across heads will drop head temps.
    Lenale makes one I used for years ,there are others.
    Heres is how it works Head have most of the heat. The small amount of oil that goes to the heads is to provide lube. The very small amount of heat that oil carries away with it has little cooling effect.
    That is what heats the oil and engine up. The flow is not enough for cooler oil to reduce those temperatures.
    Some where I have a long test that shows how dropping the head temps does cause a major reduction in temps. old post so it will not come up on search I will keep looking.
    Hey Smitty901,
    Thank you kindly for taking the time to read and respond to my temperature control question. I had a quick look at the Lenale and a few other manufacturer's fans and read a few post, including one I found from you - reference the Lenale fan failure and replacement. Them reaching out to you speaks to the company's integrity and / or at a minimum to that individuals character.

Not sure where you are, but we still have snow on the ground so a few more weeks till riding season here.

So again, thanks and safe riding.

Derrick
    Last edited by dawg; 03-24-2018 at 09:08 PM.

Bike
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dawg Click here to enlarge
    Welcome from VT. Smitty makes a good point. Living in VT, I took off my aftermarket oil cooler I had installed because it was more trouble than it was worth. It doesn’t get real hot up here. I assume where you are would be similar. Air flow would be better for you.

Good day,
    I am up in Ottawa Ontario Canada and generally speaking or comparatively to the southern USA, maybe its not as or as consistently hot here. We do have days of +30 Celsius plus humidity that push the upper 30 degree mark and as you well know - if and when you're caught traffic, its hard on the bike. After the 103 big bore kit, Stg II and performance tune costs; well, lets say just trying to protect investment.

Cheers and safe riding

Derrick
    Last edited by dawg; 03-24-2018 at 09:09 PM.

Bike
    Thanks, Look forward to a safe and full riding season starting in a few weeks here,.

Cheers and be safe

Derrick

Bike
    2017 RGU Blackhills gold and black-96 FB Black with sidecar
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by infan031! Click here to enlarge
    Hey Smitty901,
    Thank you kindly for taking the time to read and respond to my temperature control question. I had a quick look at the Lenale and a few other manufacturer's fans and read a few post, including one I found from you - reference the Lenale fan failure and replacement. Them reaching out to you speaks to the company's integrity and / or at a minimum to that individuals character.

Not sure where you are, but we still have snow on the ground so a few more weeks till riding season here.

So again, thanks and safe riding.

Derrick
    My posts on Lenale fans have aged. As we all know time marches on. There are some newer ideas out there . I know for a fact fans will reduce head temps. I am in Wisconsin . while cold and snow interrupts riding it does not stop it. We just get the Hack out.
    Starting in 2007 with the first TC96 I beat my self up about heat. Tested tried every trick out there. Tried my best to filter fact from myth and BS. This I do know.
    They get hot, they don't die.
    SYN lube stands up to heat better and may help you sleep better. But is not a requirement.
    Heat bothers rider more than the bike. Hours , traffic , bike did not care , we felt the heat.
    Removing the CAT help reduce heat in the area of the CAT, but no real effect on over all engine temps.
    Oil temp gauges just cause worthless worry and are a waste of money. Remember the heat is in the heads.
    You can add all the fuel you want the bike will not really run cooler. Only if a bike is run to lean will it run hotter. And that needs to be corrected because it is bad for the engine.
    The tune is to make the bike run as it should not cool it down.
    Embrace the heat enjoy the ride, life is to short for worry. And welcome again.
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Bike
    2005 Dyna FXD/ 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse Stage 1
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by infan031! Click here to enlarge
    Good day,

New to the site/forum. Wanted to ask if there is value in upgrading stock oil cooler for hot days, in slow traffic etc. If so, any recommendations. Yes, I am aware the requirement for air over the cooler surface to cool the oil whole concept. Lol

Thoughts on reducing oil temp.

Thanks

D
    If want to upgrade your Oil Cooler Add a Fan to it .. Or Buy one that already has a Fan & Auto Thermostat as an integral part of it .. What Smitty posted is a very valid point on cooling, but an oil cooler does lower your Oil Temps which is a good thing, or all your Better Motorcycles wouldn't have them .. While a Good Synthetic Oil can probably handle Temps up to 300 F been proven many times 200-220 Range is what's ideal for Oil Temp ..
    2005 Dyna FXD Stage 2/ 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse

+ Reply to Thread