HarleyTalking
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: finding neutral

finding neutral

After running my ultra for a while and it is hot, the bike will not go into neutral unless I shut it down. The bike will go into neutral if coming to a stop but not if you come to a complete stop. I have changed fluid in primary and tranny with proper amount using Harley's primary/tranny fluid. I used to use Redline shockproof heavy duty but was told that it was harder on either the clutch or tranny when used(from dealer), however when I used it I don't remember having this issue. I have also adjusted the clutch at the basket and at the lever to spec at about 3/4 turn out. shifting is beautiful while riding and even as I coast to a stop putting into neutral. I would like to be able to get off the bike with it running to unlock shed at night and ride in but fighting to go into neutral is a pain. At this point I am thinking of bringing it to the dealer as maybe something is going on with clutch or tranny. I would appreciate any help.

finding neutral

Did you have the issue when you were using redline? Iím no expert, but Iíve heard a lot of good things about redline. In any case, it sounds to me like something is out of adjustment - I would not think itís anything serious since you can find neutral in the other scenarios. Hopefully somebody here can give you better advice. Maybe adjust your clutch so it disengages just a tad earlier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him. ~James D. Miles

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters. ~Alan Simpson

Bike
    09 ultra black
    I’d go back to red line I use it change every 2 years
    Easy to find neutral 85 % of the time
    And adj cluch when cold if needed
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    2017 RGU Blackhills gold and black-96 FB Black with sidecar
    Issue with finding N are generally the primary. 1 is clutch adjustment. I know you set it at 3/4 turn . That gives you an earlier engagement. Maybe it slipped a bit when you tightened it. Try adjusting it again. Also check level on Primary fluid that will cause N issues also.
    Brand and type of lube will not really make much difference.
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Bike
    2005 Dyna FXD/ 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse Stage 1
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by smitty901 Click here to enlarge
    Issue with finding N are generally the primary. 1 is clutch adjustment. I know you set it at 3/4 turn . That gives you an earlier engagement. Maybe it slipped a bit when you tightened it. Try adjusting it again. Also check level on Primary fluid that will cause N issues also.
    Brand and type of lube will not really make much difference.
    +1 This only happened to me once and found the Clutch itself needed adjustment .. The Free Play in the Cable was fine .. Just for the Record the Oil was Amsoil but as Smitty said don't think Oil Brand is really a problem ..
    2005 Dyna FXD Stage 2/ 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse

Bike
    09 ultra black
    I have heard and read if you overfill the primary meaning add too much of course you can only add so much before it does start to come out to Derby cover. But I do add more than recommended I do try things shall we say out of the box. This has helped my compensator last much longer since the compensator seems to be starved for oil it is a much better compensator now. Harley has changed it about 4 times but with my older set up screaming Eagle first style I always overfill . Some say that this causes hard to find neutral and shifting that goes or is harder to shift as in the plates do that separate clutch plates but I have not found this on my bike. Each bike has its own particular likes and dislikes and you Kaina have to find them,, as in clutch adjustment I think my thoughts Click here to enlarge
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    2014 LIMITED true duals,stage on e,custom striping, and more..
    Very rarely will I disagree with what is written about oils but here is my story about that. I had an '09 ultra and adjusted the clutch every time I did a service(every 5000 miles) always used the syn3 oil Harley recommended(which I disagreed with anyway. it's motor oil not gear lube). I was in a dealership one day and was talking to a tech there about the not being able to find neutral, he told me to get some Lucas oil stabilizer and add 6 oz to the tranny. I said to myself self I will try anything once.
    I did what was recomended and with 1 mile I could just touch the shifter and it would drop into neutral with ease, so I always added the lucas to the tranny and actually I started adding it to the primary and engine and never had a problem. I traded that bike in for my 14 limited with 80k on the bike and it still would shift into neutral with ease.
    I used the formula 1 fluid in the '14 until recently because I have gone to Red Line products in all 3 holes. I really like the products so far and this bike shifts into neutral like butter. JMO
    If it feels good DO IT

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by santajim Click here to enlarge
    Very rarely will I disagree with what is written about oils but here is my story about that. I had an '09 ultra and adjusted the clutch every time I did a service(every 5000 miles) always used the syn3 oil Harley recommended(which I disagreed with anyway. it's motor oil not gear lube). I was in a dealership one day and was talking to a tech there about the not being able to find neutral, he told me to get some Lucas oil stabilizer and add 6 oz to the tranny. I said to myself self I will try anything once.
    I did what was recomended and with 1 mile I could just touch the shifter and it would drop into neutral with ease, so I always added the lucas to the tranny and actually I started adding it to the primary and engine and never had a problem. I traded that bike in for my 14 limited with 80k on the bike and it still would shift into neutral with ease.
    I used the formula 1 fluid in the '14 until recently because I have gone to Red Line products in all 3 holes. I really like the products so far and this bike shifts into neutral like butter. JMO
    Hard to argue with that type of review. Lots of miles with smiles backing it up. Happy Memorial day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him. ~James D. Miles

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters. ~Alan Simpson

+ Reply to Thread