HarleyTalking
+ Reply to Thread

Bike
    2000 Ultra Classic

"Get a Big Twin" they said. "It'll be fun" they said. Cam plate and oil pump crapped

I started noticing the ol' girl making more valve train noise after it got warmed up, and at idle. I've seen and heard enough about the cam tensioners to be worried enough to tear it apart and look. The PO said they had been replaced at 17,000 miles. I've had no reason to doubt him, as he had acted with honor for our transaction. Since my bike was now over 50,000 miles, it was about that time. Oil pressure was about 36 running down the road, and barely above 0 psi at idle when warm. So I ordered parts before I opened it. (time restrictions. I was planning a ride and needed the parts here asap). When I opened it, I was pleased to see the PO was indeed truthful about the replacements, but he didn't know any details. He told me it had upgraded cams but didn't know what they were, for instance. He had paid someone (not official HD install, as he told me an individuals name) good money to install the Screaming Eagle cam plate with the hydraulic tensioners. Unfortunately, that also means those parts I paid extra money to be here Tuesday are wrong. Click here to enlarge The shoe had signs of wear, to be expected for 40,000 miles, I guess, but then I took that off to see this heart breaking crap:
    Click here to enlargeIMG_20180707_165905502_HDR by Fred Snider, on Flickr
    Then I looked at the Screaming Eagle 208 cams, nice... and the Screaming Eagle oil pump. Not nice:
    Click here to enlargeIMG_20180708_215256554_HDR by Fred Snider, on Flickr

Bike
    2000 Ultra Classic
    So now I don't know WTF to do. I'll buy a dial indicator and measure my crankshaft runout to see if replacing all of this is an option. If that's what caused this carnage, it'll be new motor time. I was stressed over how much replacing the shoes was gonna be! Dammit, man!

Bike
    2018 FLHTCU Ultra
    sucks Flame....sorry to hear
    Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose!

Bike
    09 ultra black
    Dam Click here to enlarge
    I remember under extended warranty my inner shoe was just about ready to go in the Oil pump Had scoring and the cam at self had a kind of discoloration on the lobes , I could not feel any surface irregularities But it was like the hardness was coming off but that all got replaced
    Hoping for the best outcome for you good luck .....
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Damn Fred....That really sucks!!
    Wayne
    Past Master 1995
    Old Fort Lodge 420
    Summerville, SC

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most" Click here to enlarge

Sometimes it takes a full tank of gas before you can think straight.Click here to enlarge

2010 Ultra Classic - Flame Blue pearl & Brilliant Silver Pearl

Bike
    2008 105th Anny Ultra
    On a 2000 I’d be surprised to see excessive crank runout. They had the good forged cranks and good left bearing back then. 2002 was the last year of those. There have been a few scored SE plates and pumps, and many have been with runout well within spec. You will probably get lucky and be able to replace the pump and plate and not have to worry about replacing the crank.
    Click here to enlarge I blame soos Click here to enlarge

Bike
    2000 Ultra Classic
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dawg Click here to enlarge
    On a 2000 I’d be surprised to see excessive crank runout. They had the good forged cranks and good left bearing back then. 2002 was the last year of those. There have been a few scored SE plates and pumps, and many have been with runout well within spec. You will probably get lucky and be able to replace the pump and plate and not have to worry about replacing the crank.
    That's what I heard too. I'm happy to say that my run-out measured at 2 thousandths. So now I have to find a way to come up with money for a gear driven cams solution. Anyone want to commission a painting of their bike? I work for motorcycle parts!

+ Reply to Thread