HarleyTalking
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Yet Another Oil Change Question

OK...here's the deal. I changed my oil and filter last October just before I put my bike away. I run Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w 50. My work requires me to travel, so I'm GONE somewhere away from home M-F, and then having to relocate from Ohio to Nebraska for a job promotion, I rode my bike less than 1,000 miles this year. Would you STILL change the oil before putting the bike away, or would you just ride it another season and change it next fall. Like I said, because of work, even next fall I probably still won't have 4,000 miles on the oil after two years. I just hate to throw away $40 worth of oil when it has less than 1,000 miles on it. Seems such a needless thing to do. If Mobil ! is supposed to be that good (and I believe it is, that's why I use it) can't it go two seasons and be OK? Welcome your thoughts......

Bike
    2004 GeezerGlide Classic
    Personally no....Change it every 5,000 miles...Some are very anal about oil changes...A friend of mine is a truck fleet manager and they only change the oil after analysis...He rides the hell out his bike and changes it every 10,000 miles...Has been doing that since 1999...They use Blackstone Labs for their analysis/testing...He sent in a sample of his engine oil and everything was fine...Just a little dirty...Choice is yours...

Bike
    2017 RGU Blackhills gold and black-96 FB Black with sidecar
    No, i would not
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by smitty901 Click here to enlarge
    No, i would not
    Thanks Smitty....I value your opinion highly. Is it OK to ride it another season before changing? With the move, getting settled into the new house, and traveling for work, I probably will still only have about 4,000 miles on the oil by next fall. I do get a short ride every weekend, usually about 30-40 miles, so the bike isn't just sitting all summer. Main reason I made the move is because after next year, I don't have to travel anymore for work. I can work out of the office here in Omaha.

Bike
    2005 Dyna FXD/ 2011 Victory Cross Country
    Happened to me now and then when working the ships and didn't get in a lot of riding but I still did an Oil Change after the Oil had been in the Bike 1 Year .. You have some good opinions from excellent sources different to mine but still sticking with mine for what the amount of Oil and a Filter Cost ..
    2005 Dyna FXD Stage 2/ 2011 Vic Cross Country

Bike
    2019 FLTRU
    Every 5k or once a year. That said, if I had only 1k miles on it, I would not change it.
    Click here to enlarge I blame soos Click here to enlarge

Bike
    The issue with that few miles would be moisture. If the bike were going to be stored for a couple years . Then change it. If it just until next season then don't. However don't go out and start it let it run and shut it down that is worst than just letting it sit.
    if you are going to ride it let it be.
    Just would not recommend doing the same next year.
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Bike
    2004 GeezerGlide Classic
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by smitty901 Click here to enlarge
    However don't go out and start it let it run and shut it down that is worst than just letting it sit.
    Ditto...I never understood why some people do that...Stupidity/ignorance I guess...

Yet Another Oil Change Question

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marc 55 Click here to enlarge
    Ditto...I never understood why some people do that...Stupidity/ignorance I guess...
    Most of the people I know who do that are starting it up to let their buddies hear their bike run. 30 seconds and then shut it off. Not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him. ~James D. Miles

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters. ~Alan Simpson

Bike
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marc 55 Click here to enlarge
    One of those things it sounds like a good idea. But it never warms up enough to cook off moisture .
    Dianne Feinstein:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast