HarleyTalking

Bike
    2007 Heritage,2010 FXD

1997 FXSTS rear wheel clearance

Hi tries to find the correct spot to post this problem, but I bought another bike (always wanted a springer bike) its really nice, bought it right, and just a good deal.I am deaf enough to wear hearing aids EXCEPT when I ride a bike- mine are loud enough to wake the dead.I went to the guys house 1997 14500 miles, just bought new tires, new wheels,and a rev tech 6 speed (seemed the 5 speed had a vibration he didnt like) any way it makes it tight to fit all 3 of them in their garage, so backing out is a bit tight and the engine is off, I was backing her out to ride and heard a squeeking from the rear the tire was JUST hitting the belt. I have a decent fear of rotating assyemblies, so I called the guy- he was an ass, all I wanted was info- I got the paperwork from hm and the wheel is a billet 3.5 inch wide wheel for a 2000.original was 3 max, Im thinking if I put the original where (both were using a 130/90/16) it would have clearence? Hey I got the old wheel in the deal as well good tire on it to finishe the season with- any input would be greatly appreciated

Bike
    2016 FLHXS, 07 FXST
    IMO, put the original back on it, If the tire is rubbing on the belt, it's too wide and will screw up the belt or tire or both.

Bike
    2007 Heritage,2010 FXD
    thats what I figured- if 3 inches is the max they say to use the clearence would be atleast 1/4 of an inch- (dividing the 1/2 lagrer wheel from center- and hell the tire was a dunlop that HE PAID 200 bucks for- the old tire on the old rim ( looks like brand new) looks GREAT very little wear, the date of mfg though is May,2011 so tire is getting out of date, BUT a lot of factors figure in on when a tire is too old,but I figure no cracks in the rubber and kept inside out of UV will be good this season

Bike
    09 ultra black
    As I understand or have always thought. When you’re backing the bike up the belt will go up against the opposite pulls wall and when going forward it will go up against the other pulley wall, now I’m not sure if backing it up makes you it to the right or the left but I would definitely put the other original rim and tire back on. There’s a lot of thought Harley put into building the bikes for long Jevity I feel. I try not to Play engineer if all possible I will tinker with certain things and somethings just need to be Stock ...
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    2017 RGU Blackhills gold and black-96 FB Black with sidecar
    Are you sure the spacers are correct ?
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Bike
    2007 Heritage,2010 FXD
    according to the original owner it was replaced by a local motorcycle repair shop- I have no idea about that, BUT the new wheel is a 3.5 inch and If what I have read Harley didnt go to a 3.5 inch wheel until 2000, I have new bearings comming for the old wheel, we will see

Bike
    2000 Ultra Classic
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tom Click here to enlarge
    As I understand or have always thought. When you’re backing the bike up the belt will go up against the opposite pulls wall and when going forward it will go up against the other pulley wall, now I’m not sure if backing it up makes you it to the right or the left but I would definitely put the other original rim and tire back on. There’s a lot of thought Harley put into building the bikes for long Jevity I feel. I try not to Play engineer if all possible I will tinker with certain things and somethings just need to be Stock ...
    This! I was going to say the same thing! When you're rolling it back, you will hear this belt squeak thing!