HarleyTalking
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Bike brain dead!!

A few weeks back the bike suddenly stalled as soon as it started. Thought it was the carb so did a good cleanup of the mikuni. When done, the bike started but misfired off and on. Left it at that for the time being. Now, yesterday I was planning to ride. Same thing... started and then stalled just after a few turns. Thought fuel so took the carb off again and cleaned it well... Nothing! Checked the spark plugs and they were pitch black. Cranked and got an occasional spark but most of the time no spark. Same on both cylinders. Switched plugs, even thought it didnít really seem like a plug thing since same symptoms in both. Nothing. Fitted a new CP sensor which I had at home... nothing. Fired up and stalled. Thinking Ignition module f-d. Thoughts? Any way to test the module? Donít feel like just buying a new without knowing...

Thanks in advance! And... I do follow the forum off and on, though not very active as you can see!! Lol!

Cheers from a hot Thailand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Phuket!! Let's Ride!!!"

Bike
    2019 FLTRU
    Check the bank angle sensor. There was a recall way back then on that sensor because of symptoms you describe. In your 2000 it was a separate unit.
    Click here to enlarge I blame soos Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dawg Click here to enlarge
    Check the bank angle sensor. There was a recall way back then on that sensor because of symptoms you describe. In your 2000 it was a separate unit.
    Ok! Itís rattling, but how do I test it? Short it? 3 wires...green black and grey...

"Phuket!! Let's Ride!!!"

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Doc Click here to enlarge
    Ok! Itís rattling, but how do I test it? Short it? 3 wires...green black and grey...

Tried to find info... somewhere I read that you can just disconnect it and the bike should run if it is the Bank sensor... it did not... same story, fires up and dies...

"Phuket!! Let's Ride!!!"

Bike
    09 ultra black
    Found this
    with the ignition on, the light green/gray wire should 0 vdc.
    if it reads anything other than 0 vdc, it is bad and will disable your ignition.
    these fail all the time. it is more than a simple ball in a slot....it is a ball in a slot that is sensed by an overely complicated electronic sensing circuit.

Plus this

On my 1200 Sport (2002 1200S domestic and international main harness page 5-29), the BAS has three wires and receives power from the gray wire (from the ignition fuse) which also powers the ďengine stop/run switchĒ. If removing the sensor, that 12 VDC wire will need to be capped. Connecting the light green/gray wire (from the module) to ground, via the black wire, will provide run mode.
    Last edited by Tom; 05-06-2019 at 08:55 AM.
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tom Click here to enlarge
    Found this
    with the ignition on, the light green/gray wire should 0 vdc.
    if it reads anything other than 0 vdc, it is bad and will disable your ignition.
    these fail all the time. it is more than a simple ball in a slot....it is a ball in a slot that is sensed by an overely complicated electronic sensing circuit.
    Thanks Tom! So, if I remove the sensor... there should be 0 volt going back... and the bike should run... or?

"Phuket!! Let's Ride!!!"

Bike
    09 ultra black
    I added more info

Bike
    09 ultra black
    Also read somebody put in a resistor I guess to mimic the bank angle sensor I’m still reading hope to find something soon

Bike
    09 ultra black
    I think you are saying cap the grey, then join / connect the green to black... is that the deal?
    More of what I am reading

Bike
    09 ultra black
    No I’m just grabbing info off the Internet so I’m at work and I’ve got to get some work done but here’s some more info be careful

There was a recall and 99 on Bank angle sensors

Light green/gray goes to the Ignition Module.
    Gray is switched hot from ignition switch.
    Black is ground.

I can't determine what the switch actually does with those wires.

It says to test by placing a magnet on top of the sensor to pull the metal disc inside up off its seat. Not real helpful if you can't start the bike to begin with.

If I had a sensor out to test, I would gladly do so for ya. sorry, that's the best I can do.

Being unwilling to burn up the ignition module with blind testing, I probably pull out the sensor and shake the hell out of it to make sure I could hear the disc rattling and then set it upright and tap the front to be sure the disc re-seats

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast