HarleyTalking
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bike
    09 ultra black
    E: How do you bypass a bank angle sensor on a twin cam
    A resister doesn't drop voltage, it drops current. A diode allows current to flow in one direction and not the other. Using either one of these independently or together will not accomplish what is suggested.

As mentioned in the other thread, I believe it is a 5 volt signal. If you want to try to bypass it, you will need a 5 volt power source. Building such and item will likely be larger than the BAS. It will also need to be built to withstand the adverse conditions associated with being on a motorcycle. Hate to sound like a broken record but the BAS is already built to these standards and will be reliable. It would be very easy to mount the small BAS near the ignition module and have minimal amounts of wires to run.

If you still want to build something that supply the signal, I would suggest using a LM7805 voltage regulator. You will also need a current limiting resister on the output. A 100k 1/4 watt resister should work. You will need to make 3 connections to the device, ground, 12 volts and signal to the ignition module. BTW, they are the same connections you would make to a BAS.
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    09 ultra black
    After re-reading this many times I think I have deciphered the code. No offense but your terminology is not standard in the electronics field and therefor didn't make a lot of sense.

The suggestion above, as I read it, is the signal to disable the ignition is a "hi" or 5 volts. And the signal that enables the ignition is a "Lo" or ground. If this is a the case, and I have not confirmed it, then pulling the signal for enable Lo would then turn on the ignition.

To confirm the ignition is enabled when the "ignition enable" pin is Lo, turn the bike on and check the voltage on the pin. If it reads 5 volts with nothing attached, then a Lo signal will probably enable it.

To do this a resister could be used. The resister value could vary considerably depending on the circuit in the ignition module. IMO, the highest resister value that pulls it Lo should be used. To test this, go to radio shack and buy an assortment of resisters. I would recommend 100K Ohm 1/4 watt, 10K Ohm 1/4 watt, 5K Ohm 1/4 watt and 1K Ohm 1/4 watt resisters. Starting with the highest value (100K), connect one end to the ignition enable pin on the ignition module (black connector, pin 10 I believe). Then connect the other end of the resister to ground. When you turn the bike on (run position) the signal at pin 10 should read zero volts (ground). If it does not then use the next lower value resister until it read 0 volts on the pin. Remember the resister is used to limit the amount of current draw on that signal so the higher the value, the less current draw.

Bike
    09 ultra black
    Well I’m confused :\|

Bike
    09 ultra black
    Here's the recall HD 0101

Harley-Davidson Motor Company

Models: Harley-Davidson FLT Years: 1999-2000

Number Involved: 52,126

Dates of Manufacture: May 1997 - October 1999

Defect: The bank sensor angle system can malfunction, causing the engine to stall or quit unexpectedly when riding. The engine can stall, possibly causing the rider to lose control of the motorcycle.

Remedy: Dealers will correct the bank angle sensor system. Owner notification began in November 1999. Owners who do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Harley-Davidson at 1-414-342-4680.

[NHTSA Recall No. 99V291/Harley-Davidson Recall No. 0101]

Bike
    09 ultra black
    The bank angle sensor will rattle. It basically has 2 ramps on the inside and ball. The ball stays at the bottom of the 2 ramps as long as the bike doesn't pass a certain angle. Once the bike passes a certain angle the ball travels up on of the ramps and shuts the bike off.
    The engine should not run without the bank angle sensor. It supplies an enable signal to the ECM or ignition module (depending on EFI or carb) allowing it to run. Is it EFI or Carb? If EFI does it have a PCIII on it? And if so does it have Rev Extend?

Bike
    09 ultra black
    Then the signal is low to run and goes high to disable the engine. If the BAS is bad and falsely giving a high signal it could do what you are suggesting. The rattle is still ok. To check the BAS you can apply 12v and ground from a battery across the power pins (check wiring diagram for pin out). Then using a volt meter with the positive probe on the 3rd pin of the BAS and the ground probe on the ground pin, you should read 5v when it is tripped and 0 volts when it is in normal position, IIRC.
    Either way if it runs without it run it and see if your problem is solved, if it is you can replace the BAS.

Bike
    09 ultra black
    Last check makes sense

Hi Tom! And thank you! Even easier would be to find another sensor for me to try on my bike just like I hope to find an Ignition module to try. I am still leaning towards the ignition module since the bike was misfiring before it died completely. I understand that misfiring is a symptom of the Ignition module as well... Just need to find one ... lol!
    "Phuket!! Let's Ride!!!"

Bike
    09 ultra black
    If you’re having trouble finding one give me a part number and I will look for one over here or in eBay
    best of luck buddy

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tom Click here to enlarge
    If youíre having trouble finding one give me a part number and I will look for one over here or in eBay
    best of luck buddy
    I know you would Tom! And you should know how much Iíve always appreciated your help over the years! If it is the Ignition module Iíll go for a new one. Direct from HD just to get the warranty. They sell for $380.- over here ... not sure how much they would cost in the us...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Phuket!! Let's Ride!!!"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast