HarleyTalking

98 Dyna wide glide issue

Ok so my 98 dyna has me a little stumped right now. I went out for a ride about a week ago no issues. This Saturday I went to fire her up and it acts like the battery is dead. Pull the battery charged it put back in same thing. I have checked all my cables they are in good shape and tight. Battery voltage is 12v not running. Put a portable jump starter on it and it fired and ran but the minutes I pulled the jump starter off it dies. Next thing I知 going to do is amp clamp the cables and see what the amp draw is. Hope I知 on the right track . The battery is only 6 months old so I知 hoping it痴 still good. If I知 missing something please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asteroids Champion!
    Bike
    2010 Ultra
    I'm not a mechanic, but if you are putting the portable jump starter on the battery cables, then it's using the same cables, so it seems the connections and cables are good. Maybe have the battery load tested, could have plenty of volts, but low on amps. Bad cell maybe, happens to newer batteries too, so don't rule that out.

I'm sure someone with better diagnosing abilities will be able to give you some more info to work with. Hope you figure it out.
    ~RumRunner

2010 Ultra - Vivid Black; Stage III 103"; SE259e Cams; SERT; Dresser Duals; 4" Rineharts Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Bike
    09 ultra black
    Here is a vid helped me
    Yes just like Rum said I would definitely have the battery tested now it Hass to be fully charged and if you have a good VOM a fully charged battery will be 12.75 V once your VOM says 12.60 it痴 already only three-quarter charged let us know what you find out and will do our best to help you along the way..

https://youtu.be/t6hPyNE7ORA
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    2005 Dyna FXD/ 2011 Victory Cross Country
    Check Battery Voltage once started should be at or at least close to 14 Volts in that case in your charging system .. But definitely a good idea to have Battery Checked should have at least 12.8 Volts when fully charged ..
    2005 Dyna FXD Stage 2/ 2011 Vic Cross Country

Thanks for the tips guys. I値l get to it soon and post my findings. Finding it hard to get any garage time in right now.

Bike
    09 ultra black
    10-4

Bike
    2000 Ultra Classic
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jaystronghawk Click here to enlarge
    Check Battery Voltage once started should be at or at least close to 14 Volts in that case in your charging system .. But definitely a good idea to have Battery Checked should have at least 12.8 Volts when fully charged ..
    This is what I would have told ya too.

After trouble shooting I found the ignition switch had a ton of corrosion. The voltage regulator had a broken pin on the connector. Place both parts on order they値l get here next week and I will go from there.

Bike
    09 ultra black
    Good catch
    Best of luck