HarleyTalking

Bike
    2010 Ultra Classic, 2003 Sportster Sport

Rear brake light switch

I just wanted to pass on this little tidbit. I was having some weird issues with my cruise control. I would be cursing along and all of a sudden the cruise control would disengage and nothing I tried would re-engage it. I thought I was going to loose my mind troubleshooting the system. Tried checking the codes, nothing. I was beginning to think it was the thumb switch on the control. Not there. There is a trouble shooting system in place on the bike that will allow you to test all of the things that can disengage the cruise. I went through all of that and everything checked good. Took it out for a ride and the cruise engaged just fine. Applied the rear brake and the cruise disengaged and would not re-engage. I really was stumped. I parked the bike in the garage and noticed a lot of red from the back of the bike. Took me a minute to process what I was seeing. The brake lights were on. How could this be?

I turned out there was a problem with the rear brake light switch. It was intermittent at first, but, it got to the point where I could hardly use cruise control.

New rear brake switch and the problem went away.

Bike
    2005 Dyna FXD/ 2011 Victory Cross Country
    Would have suggested Brake Switch if you didn't already know it .. I know for a fact that if the Front Brake Switch Fails your Brake Light stays on and most times I have seen or heard of the Rear Brake Failing and stayed on at all times although just through talk and forums have heard that the Rear Brake did not light up when failed .. When my Cruise would kick out when applying the brake on my 2009 Ultra turned out to be a bad wire from the ECM and sometimes would go into Limp Mode as well, until I shut it off and Restart it then would just leave cruise alone until got it fixed .. (Warranty)
    2005 Dyna FXD Stage 2/ 2011 Vic Cross Country

Bike
    2017 RGU Blackhills gold and black-96 FB Black with sidecar
    Rear brake light and cruse are on the same circuit. It serves as notice you have a brake a light issue . Also on touring bikes gauge lights will stop working on some years
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Bike
    2010 Ultra Classic, 2003 Sportster Sport
    Well,

Now you tell me after all that trouble shooting and all....Click here to enlarge