HarleyTalking

Bike
    2017 RGU Blackhills gold and black-96 FB Black with sidecar

Cleaning up an old knife

This is a Skinner kitchen/Butcher knife. It belonged to my Mother in laws mom. Date from about 1939-1940 Watertown WI Village Blacksmith. . As a young lady my mother in law worked there for awhile. It has sat in a box for about 40 years .
    Good high carbon steel but dampness took it toll on it. Decide to clean it up. Restore it without taking away what it is putting in a case and handing it back to my mother in law. Still some work to do. The Wood handle is in great shape . I will not even mess with that. The steel is coming along. Hand work as I do not want to over do anything. First picture was the end of day one working on it. The second is day 2.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Bike
    2019 FLTRU
    Looking good
    Click here to enlarge I blame soos Click here to enlarge

Bike
    2016 Tri Glide True V & H Duals, Stage one, and to much bling to list.
    Nice work Top
    If it feels good DO IT

Bike
    I am not going to over do it. Some minor scratches will be left. It was used for many years . I doubt Susan Grandparents purchased much meat if any from town. Even her mother for many years they raised and butcher most of their own.
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Bike
    09 ultra black
    Quite the knife never seen one like that
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tom Click here to enlarge
    Quite the knife never seen one like that
    Common skinning knife for butchering. Mother in laws parents generation did not buy much at the store and never meat. The raised and did their own butchering on the farm. Mother in law did also half of her life. This knife and others I have were the ones they used. Hard to see in the picture but it has a well defined false edge on top making it easier to stick into meat. The high carbon steel will take one heck of an edge. You sharping skills are the only limit.
    Today i am going over it with some 2000 grit , will decide if I am happy with it or not.
    Dianne Feinstein:

Bike
    09 ultra black
    I can see or I do understand that the longer I assume the sharp edge or the belly of the knife the more continuous cut you could get I assume
    I have a filleting knife but it’s more street I guess it’s for fish and it’s really sharp.
    I’ve got quite a collection of pocket knives I have a few for my father but mostly stuff I’ve collected on my own. That curve in that knife reminds me of a scimitar I think that’s the name like from the Arabian nights but of course they were much bigger
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tom Click here to enlarge
    I can see or I do understand that the longer I assume the sharp edge or the belly of the knife the more continuous cut you could get I assume
    I have a filleting knife but itís more street I guess itís for fish and itís really sharp.
    Iíve got quite a collection of pocket knives I have a few for my father but mostly stuff Iíve collected on my own. That curve in that knife reminds me of a scimitar I think thatís the name like from the Arabian nights but of course they were much bigger
    Perry much yes. The cured edge causing less drag as it cuts . While called a skinning knife it is used a lot in butchering. Skinning refers to removing the meat from the bone. Have have several knifes from earlier and the same time period that were all used on butcher day. The meat was made into sausage, cut to roast , steaks chops just about every way you can think of. I will work on some of the others when this one is done.
    Dianne Feinstein: