HarleyTalking
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bike
    2017 RGU Blackhills gold and black-96 FB Black with sidecar

1996 FB trans is shot

Pretty clear I took out the entire Trans on my 1196 FB. I say I because it may have been from flying the car for several miles at a time when it had the sidecar on it. I am not laying this on HD. 24 year old ride. Having all new gear sets bearing and parts put in it better than new. The belt is 24 years old so while it is apart having belt a sprockets replaced. they are all the factory parts.
    So what is a 1996 FB in very good condition worth? NADA say $7,700 the need to put the crack pipe down. Good is about $3,200 . I live in a real world and pretty sure $4,000 would be what most would pay. I am not selling it anyway.
    By time it is all done right and back on the road I will have 3,500 to 4,000 in it. I am ok with that. If you look a new purchase, what I put ito it all these years and this repair I am still ok. Still the lowest cost to own of any bike I have ever had based on miles. Engine is still very good. next year tear down and refresh it. The FB staying until I am dead. I will not leave a broke down barn find I will leave in great shape.
    Click here to enlarge
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Bike
    09 ultra black
    What prompted you to feel or did you notice somehow the transmission was worn out maybe it was just a specific part in the trany. are pretty easy to rebuild did you do it yourself definitely 24-year-old belt replace .. mine is 22 years old on my fat boy still looks good but then again I have broken belts that were less than 5000 miles but that was on a heavy bike
    If you would have some pictures of the worn out parts it’s something I can think about in the future even though mine does not have a Sidecar thanx
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tom Click here to enlarge
    What prompted you to feel or did you notice somehow the transmission was worn out maybe it was just a specific part in the trany. are pretty easy to rebuild did you do it yourself definitely 24-year-old belt replace .. mine is 22 years old on my fat boy still looks good but then again I have broken belts that were less than 5000 miles but that was on a heavy bike
    If you would have some pictures of the worn out parts it’s something I can think about in the future even though mine does not have a Sidecar thanx
    Tom the trans was not wore out, nor did a bearing fail. The gears broke. This could well have been from flying the car a lot and causing it to not lube correctly. The broken gears caused more damage. The 5 box is a good one and most case last a long time.
    I am to busy With Payton and home schooling to do the work. I took it in. Replacing everything new Using Andrews gear sets US made all new bearing ect. I have never broken a belt even in over 80,000 on any of them.
    I will try to get you pictures. With the crap going on shop has to be some what off limits. Because of Payton I am avoiding contact with others the best I can
    At 24 years old while it is all apart, may as well do anything else that is apart. Sprockets belt any other bearing ect. I could have purchase a used trans but that did not set well with me. Same with cheaper gear sets. I am invested in this bike and keeping it .
    No short cuts. Ball park by time I am done $3,500-$4000. We w8ill see. Cost average over 24 years chicken feed.
    Warning I had noise. And it do not take long to get very loud.
    At 65 my riding is changing . Focus is on letting Payton ride. While I can remove the sidecars , I see no reason too. My wife's health issue have caused weight gain that almost stops two up riding. The FB will be my two wheeled bike. Who knows I may freshen up the looks a bit. No permanent changes to it.
    Last edited by smitty901; 04-17-2020 at 03:16 PM.
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Bike
    09 ultra black
    I was just wondering I’ve had two evos the 93 I built from a wreck and now the 98 which I got with low miles one twin cam, lots of shovel heads. And one old sportster. One thing I found was always very solid with the transmissions and the clutches i have f worn out sprockets broke belts chipped valves Bent pushrods .. pulled Torsion rod out of the case when putting jugs back together that was in 93 when they had soft aluminum cases. I was just wondering, hope you get many many more miles out of it ..Hope everybody gets back to normality.Kay and I not working but they’re nice enough to continue giving us our pay I go in every few days clean our buildings but there’s nobody there. Which gets me out of the bike and riding to work. And I’ve had to cut the grass a couple times already at the school. Hope you guys are doing well and healthy and safe. Love from Indiana ...

Bike
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tom Click here to enlarge
    I was just wondering I’ve had two evos the 93 I built from a wreck and now the 98 which I got with low miles one twin cam, lots of shovel heads. And one old sportster. One thing I found was always very solid with the transmissions and the clutches i have f worn out sprockets broke belts chipped valves Bent pushrods .. pulled Torsion rod out of the case when putting jugs back together that was in 93 when they had soft aluminum cases. I was just wondering, hope you get many many more miles out of it ..Hope everybody gets back to normality.Kay and I not working but they’re nice enough to continue giving us our pay I go in every few days clean our buildings but there’s nobody there. Which gets me out of the bike and riding to work. And I’ve had to cut the grass a couple times already at the school. Hope you guys are doing well and healthy and safe. Love from Indiana ...
    Tom Other than home schooling, Bars and church shut down not much changed here. You can go to the strip club but not church. Going downtown to buy dope is approved. ect. Governor ordered us locked down now until the 26 of April. It seems at least most here have decide to ignore him. Payton and I rode to day. We stayed to our self but had a great ride with her dog.
    Dianne Feinstein:

Bike
    2005 Dyna FXD/ 2011 Victory Cross Country
    Feel about my 2005 Dyna pretty much the way you feel about your FB Top .. I have 8,000 into a Ride that really is only worth about 5K at the most but had it 3 years now and never stranded or even a problem had to address quickly by staying ahead of the game .. May be some issues with time but already know exactly to go if need to do so .. With Brand New Rides costing 20K at the beginning and with all this Computer Issues with most of them will stick to what I am familiar with ..
    2005 Dyna FXD Stage 2/ 2011 Vic Cross Country

Bike
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jaystronghawk Click here to enlarge
    Feel about my 2005 Dyna pretty much the way you feel about your FB Top .. I have 8,000 into a Ride that really is only worth about 5K at the most but had it 3 years now and never stranded or even a problem had to address quickly by staying ahead of the game .. May be some issues with time but already know exactly to go if need to do so .. With Brand New Rides costing 20K at the beginning and with all this Computer Issues with most of them will stick to what I am familiar with ..
    The 1996 Fb is a bike when I get on it I don't have to go fast. it is just a pleasure to ride at any speed. The sound the vibration the feel of the bike is real. It does take me back to another time. I let them know I was in no rush , I know under current conditions the parts may take a little extra time. Looking forward to riding it again.
    Dianne Feinstein:

Bike
    09 ultra black
    Something about the old bikes. My son in Phoenix is rebuilding my 69 triumph Tiger from the ground up once he got into it he noticed I had broken the frame in two places or I had broken the actual factory welding.. I had welded and bolted a hard tail on but the welds on the two rails at the bottom has broken over the years he likes the older stuff even though he has a 2017 triumph café bike,,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bike
    Andrews gear set and other parts came in the end of the week. It should be done soon.
    Dianne Feinstein:

Bike
    2005 Dyna FXD/ 2011 Victory Cross Country
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by smitty901 Click here to enlarge
    Andrews gear set and other parts came in the end of the week. It should be done soon.
    Look Forward to hearing your input on that ..
    2005 Dyna FXD Stage 2/ 2011 Vic Cross Country

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast