HarleyTalking

Bike
    2017 RGU Blackhills gold and black-96 FB Black with sidecar

Fatboy let me down

For the first time in 24 years my FB let me down. Turns out the ignition switch wore out. Dam Harley can on make a switch last 24 years. The bike was kind enough to fail while I was at the dealership. So left it there let them fix it.
    I wonder how many times it has been turn on and off. How many hours it spent sitting and riding in rain and even snow. How much dirt and grime from the road it has seen.
    If you have to break down two best places are home and the dealership parking lot.
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Bike
    09 ultra black
    That’s also a good place if you have to get a flat tire the dealership. You are so lucky the dealership in your area will work on an older bikes ,, I’m working on a fellas bike now it’s a 94 Fatboy it was fancyed up many years ago and he only rides it sporadically . A usher from church last year he didn’t ride it at all it has the S&S carburetor on it I haven’t had or had to work on since I had one in the late 70s it was definitely due for a cleaning no wonder it would only run on choke. kind of fun to do the repairs I actually went through hEr stem to stern bout eight hours I do enjoy working on other s bikes and even mine when it’s needed. I welded up a tire dismounting rudimentary machine it gets the tire off the rim but I still need to spoons to get it all the way off the rim if that makes any sense it helps I don’t hit my hands as much with a hammer LOL
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tom Click here to enlarge
    That’s also a good place if you have to get a flat tire the dealership. You are so lucky the dealership in your area will work on an older bikes ,, I’m working on a fellas bike now it’s a 94 Fatboy it was fancyed up many years ago and he only rides it sporadically . A usher from church last year he didn’t ride it at all it has the S&S carburetor on it I haven’t had or had to work on since I had one in the late 70s it was definitely due for a cleaning no wonder it would only run on choke. kind of fun to do the repairs I actually went through hEr stem to stern bout eight hours I do enjoy working on other s bikes and even mine when it’s needed. I welded up a tire dismounting rudimentary machine it gets the tire off the rim but I still need to spoons to get it all the way off the rim if that makes any sense it helps I don’t hit my hands as much with a hammer LOL
    Around here when need I still spoon tires on and off.
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Bike
    2005 Dyna FXD/ 2011 Victory Cross Country
    Had to replace my Ignition Switch about a year ago .. It was still functioning but was very sloppy and scared it might shut off on me at a critical moment so bought a new OEM ignition set that works perfect but just can't use the Fork Lock anymore but never used it anyway .. Basically still have no complaints for a 16 year old ride that has never left me stranded once, but knew what steps to take to stay ahead of the game ..
    2005 Dyna FXD Stage 2/ 2011 Vic Cross Country

Bike
    Fat Boy is home. It was not the Ignition Switch. Seems battery showed 13.8 volts but about 0 CCA. Regulator went to heck fired battery and few other items way over charging. Still no gripe from my point of view 24 years I can live with that.
    New battery,new regulator some work to fix stuff that fried $416 . Happy it is home.
    Sad part was the battery. 1st battery in the bike lasted 10 years, second battery lasted 10 years. I wanted to see the 3rd go ten.
    Dianne Feinstein:

Bike
    A Regulator lasting 24 Years I wouldn't complain either .. My Regulator are Stator have been good so far, hope they last a while as well .. But even if comes to that I won't complain either ..

Bike
    09 ultra black
    When either the regulator or the stator goes out. I try to change them both at the same time but that’s up to the person doing the job, glad to see it’s back on the road..
    Having finish the sportster Hardtail build this Last winter , I might look for some parts and maybe a shovel head or evo of some sort build this coming winter. Recently I went through an old Schwinn breeze bicycle From the 60s ,my wife has had one for years the neighbor gave me one been riding the bicycle ,at first it was hell on my legs but I can go longer distances now. Having more time since I am partially retired....
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    When either the regulator or the stator goes out. I try to change them both at the same time but that’s up to the person doing the job

This is a Pretty Good Rule to Follow, an exception for me would be if away from home and do it as soon as get home .. Can always do the sniff test as well .. If even smells slightly burnt , change it ..