HarleyTalking

Thread: ECM/BCM

Bike
    2017 RGU Blackhills gold and black-96 FB Black with sidecar

ECM/BCM

The heart of your ride now days. The fact is the EPA and manufactures for their own reasons have been taking more and more control of your bike . They have been doing it by restricting access to the ECM/BCM. We have not had much trouble beating them in the past , but times are changing.
    EPA gets to flex their muscle and show power , while manufactures hold you hostage to their services. While there are many effected functions. My focus will be on one but mention others. BCM . More and more it is working with even control ECM. In the case of the tip that shuts bike down if you tip over. That is old stuff it does so much more now. At one time the BAS was simple To stop it in the case of a trike or sidecar was simple. remove it , jumper wire latter a different sensor.
    Then it was a function in BCM that could be changed but required deal to do it. For a price. No problem others design tools that allowed others to do it and life went on. By 2017 they were making it harder for those aftermarket tools to get in.
    At this point some of the better known tools will not do as much as the use to. By 2018 It was even harder. Here it is 2021. New hardware , new ECM and BCM. of course some of this is need for new hardware no big deal. But the software is also changing. the goal is to farther limit access. Right now some of the big name tools are working their tails off to work around 2021 . While others are still trying to deal with 2017 and up.
    I had wanted a Daytona Vtwin 4 . A powerful tool that did most anything. But research showed while some function would work on 2020 the big ones would not. that was a no go as disabling /setting the BAS to trike mode was one. you could change it but it would reset it's self back.
    The Centurion can still do most anything to a 2020 and down. They are busy now working on 2021. I have a Centurion on the way. they are not cheap. The full version like a dealer would use is $1500. But you can get one as a per-bike license. Meaning you get the option of using many basic function like ABS cycling and bleed unlimited use . But the hig end function like changing VIN in ECM and radio flashes long list are by yearly License .
    This runs you $447 dollars that is unit, tax and shipping . The first license is $35. At $35 a year I can use it or not for a long time before reaching another $1,000.
    Some maybe interested in what these tools can do.

https://technoresearch.info/
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Interesting stuff Smitty. There’s no doubt they’re working toward and probably achieving their goal of having the consumer buy their motorcycle, leave it stock, and leave it to the dealer for all repair work. Sooner or later it will get too expensive to keep up with the changes they keep implementing for the normal person. For now, it seems like there still an opportunity but one has to wonder how long that will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him. ~James D. Miles

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters. ~Alan Simpson

Bike
    Not just motorcycle. Seeing it in Farm equipment, heavy equipment cars and trucks.
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Bike
    09 ultra black
    Some of the European makers are very very complicated but up to 90 sub computers. There was some type of push by the manufactures to only sell the software and computer accoutrements to dealers but some of the states spoke up and said no they did not allow that and I think they had to pass some kind a law.. so the neighborhood shop which would like to do the work and they’re capable they can get the software to work on autos and trucks,, time marches on for me I’ll keep my old pack mulesClick here to enlarge
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    2005 Dyna FXD/ 2011 Victory Cross Country
    Seen this coming a while back, lots of older well kept Vehicles around can see nothing new for me at my age .. Cost my son almost $50,000 to restore a 1967 Camaro .. ( The Year He Was Born, and also Camaro's First Year ) He did some upgrades and totally rewired it himself .. Main things he did was Electronic Ignition and Disc Brakes .. But also has a Carburetor and No ECM to run anything whatsoever .. Has been offered $90,000 for it which he said my labor done to it myself is worth that .. Click here to enlarge
    2005 Dyna FXD Stage 2/ 2011 Vic Cross Country

Bike
    09 ultra black
    That sounds like a great car. Whenever I have builder motorcycle or truck from pieces it’s or it Hass to be a labor of love.
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    The Centurion showed up. Software installed updated ready to play with it.
    Dianne Feinstein:

Bike
    Two dealers said you can not disable the BAS. Well Centurion can.
    Disabled it , then enabled it no codes no problems.
    Last edited by smitty901; 01-20-2021 at 12:21 PM.
    Dianne Feinstein: