HarleyTalking
+ Reply to Thread

Bike
    06 rdking, 97 softail custom, 05 sportster

Unhappy rear wheel alignment ?

I was going over the wifes 05 883 custom when I noticed the belt is rideing up aginst the outside edge of the pully. I figured the rear wheel needed to be strightened up so I got out my shop manual and proceeded to align the wheel. !#^*# the damn thing just keeps running over aginst the outside edge! has anyone had this happen? any ideas? other than the belt position everything seems to be correct.

Bike
    08 Streetglide
    Have you had any service to the rear wheel done?Hobbit is definetly the resident sportster expert.I'd be checking all of the suspension mounting points as well as the pulleys.
    Click here to enlarge
    08 streetglide, 96 springer softail

Bike
    09 ultra black
    I have found when bike goes foward it rubs to outside of pully & when u roll bike back it runs to inside...
    From a WW1 RAF Flight Manual ...
    "If a crash at the home airfield is inevitable, try to hit something soft and, preferably, inexpensive"

What a bliss to fight your inner conflicts and wake up with a chaos filled mind. And above all else the streak of sarcasm that wouldn't leave your side
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m6ly...e_gdata_player
    To our Soldiers, past an present, Thank You an God bless you....... Click here to enlarge...LORD I live by your Will. I shall die when you desire; Save me because you can..." "Never was fount so clear,
    undimmed and bright;
    From it alone, I know proceeds all light
    although 'tis night. .St John of the CROSS.."
    Let me get through today, and I shall not fear tomorrow." ST. Philip Neri.!! **
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    08 Streetglide
    Well 06, some quik research shows that this is common with sporties.You can try raising the bike and adjusting the wheel so the belt tracks centered.But it's far more important to have the wheel correctly aligned.As long as the belt is not so misaligned that it is wearing the edge, I'd stick with the properly aligned wheel.

Beyond that, you are looking at the possibility that the motor itself is misaligned on the frame.Hope this helps.
    Click here to enlarge
    08 streetglide, 96 springer softail

Bike
    I have gone thru the wheel alignment 2 or 3 times now. its not rubbing the pully yet just wanted to head off a future problem. neithier my rd king or softail belts run that far out of center so I was thinking there was a problem brewing. thanks all.

Bike
    2010 Ultra Limited
    How long has it been doing that? It could be that it just tracks there and there is no problem. I hope so.
    2010 Ultra Limited Merlot/Cherry Red

Bike
    there hasent been any work done. I guess the belt has always traveled over on the outside edge. the belt dosent actually rub anywhere, just thought it should be moe centered. thanks fellas. guess I will take it out and do a pre-summer run and just keep a close eye on it and see.

Bike
    2002 Sportster
    What you are seeing is perfectly okay. In fact, that is the way the belt is supposed to ride, it's in the design. Just adjust the wheel position using the coat hanger method (I'm assuming you don't have the HD tool) to assure you're tracking right, and don't sweat it.

Moon Lander Champion!
    Bike
    07 FLHTCI, 06 VRSCD, 06 Dyna WG
    +1 to what Poor said (welcome to the forum by the way)... What your seeing is normal but you do want to make sure your wheel is centered in the swingarm by checking the distance from the center of the swingarm pivot shaft to the center of your rear axle... The distance needs to be the same on both sides... Once you've assured that the wheel is aligned in the swingarm then you can check the alignment from the rear to the front... Take care... T
    ````I Wish I Were Riding Click here to enlarge````

Bike
    2012 Dyna Switchback and 86' FJ1200
    looks like everyone has beat me to it +1 to poor and T (welcome to the forum Poor) post up a welcome when you get chance
    Click here to enlarge
    IBA MEMBER 40172
    SYLO SYLBP

I'm walking with Sophie tonight, She lives in the air that I breathe;
    I can't get it out of my mind, How you were left to bleed...
    Was it how you dressed?
    Or how you act?
    I can't believe, How they could act so violently,
    Without regret, , Well, we will not forget...

We are the others, We are the cast outs,
    We're the outsiders, But you can't hide us,
    We are the others, We are the cast outs
    You're no longer on your own, If you feel mistreated, Torn and cheated,
    You're not alone, We are the others

+ Reply to Thread