HarleyTalking

Bike
    1999 FLHTCUI "Beula Mae"

Tip: How to properly adjust your rear shocks, and a simple tool to do so

This is a tip I picked up off of a Progressive Suspension tech dude some years ago, and it's a beauty. It absolutely eliminates any guesswork when it comes to setting the pre-load on your shocks. NOTE: I keep referencing 12" as I run 12" shocks. If you run 13" shocks use 13", if you run 11.5" shocks use 11.5", etc.

The 12" is measured center to center of the mounting eyes. What you want in this situation is to have that 12" with the bike in its "as ridden" state. In other words, you want to set the pre-load so that you have that 12" with you on the bike, or you and the wife on the bike, or fully loaded, or whatever. You now have optimal travel and rebound.

I set mine up so that I have that 12" 2-up, but not loaded for travel. It's a little stiff when I ride solo, but I like it like that. If we load heavy, I may or may not re-adjust. It only takes a minute or two.

The slick part is the homemade tool. It measures dead accurate, takes about 3 minutes to make, and will cost you about a buck. You'll need two 1/2" PVC 90 elbows and a short piece of 1/2" PVC pipe.In my case, I cut the pipe so that the finished length was 12" center to center of the elbows. The 1/2" elbows will fit perfectly over the shock mounting bolts. Don't glue anything.

Adjust the pre-load so that when you (or you and the wife) are sitting on the bike, the elbows slide right over the shock mounting bolts. If they don't slide right on, adjust accordingly.

You'll have to excuse the filth. She gets ridden a lot more than she gets cleaned.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Big Dan; 08-31-2011 at 09:11 PM.
    Put an absolute END to the mess when changing your oil filter!
    We offer the membership here substantial discounts on all of our products. You can check them out on our website but if you're interested in buying, don't do it there. Send me a PM or an email instead so that I can make sure you get the proper pricing. Thanks!

Bike
    09 ultra black
    Thank you ';';';;''
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...