HarleyTalking
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bike
    2009 Deluxe. Riding for 50 years. First Harley, love it!

Custom woodworking

I have ridden for over 50 years and never get tired of going nowhere. I am an accomplished wood worker and build custom furniture, cabinets and boats. This is one of my main hobbies and is great for the winter when the weather is bad. I ride year round because there is never a month where we can't get out to ride. I build only with hardwoods and upper end pieces with the same for pricing. I figure I don't have time to build cheap items and I'm the wrong guy to ask for this type of product. I hate all the contemporary furniture built out of mdf and other low grade substrates. I am 64 and am in the process of rebuilding the trailer for my 3 point hydro that I built. We are never too old to play with our toys. This hydro is 12" high, has a racing modified Merc 200 on it and will go over 70 mph. That seems very fast in a 10' boat. I fabricated all the steering harness with my mig welder and also built the custom throttle attachment for the engine and the spl bunks that support the hull. I am the do dad builder. If you can come up with an idea I can probably fabricate it. I used to replace a lot of Boston Whaler center consoles for people who let them deteriorate to junk. Replacing with new mahogany was a great way to bring an old boat back to life. I always added custom fueling options and other touches to make them better than new. Better close or I'll get a reputation for long posts!Click here to enlarge

Hey HPR,

Great post. The whole woodworking and fabrication talent is something that I seriouisly envy. I mean, how cool is that to be able to think of something and then just make it!!

I for one would love to see some pics of your work, including that kick-ass hydro! 70 MPH on the water and that close to the water must feel like 140.
    Click here to enlarge ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!

09 Ultra - Black Pearl - PCV - SEAC - RUSH 4" Big Louie's (Sold)

American Dogs - Vivid Black & Mellow Yellow (GBNF)
    PLEASE SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL ANIMAL SHELTER!

JOIN A.B.A.T.E. - "THE RIGHTS YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN!"

Bike
    09 FLSTC
    lets see pics of that hydro that must be cool

Bike
    08 Streetglide
    Sounds like youre ut the craftsman Harley.I have a brother who's a finish carpenter.Unbelievable how much patience is required.Thought you may get a laugh outta this.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    08 streetglide, 96 springer softail

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bagger Click here to enlarge
    Sounds like youre ut the craftsman Harley.I have a brother who's a finish carpenter.Unbelievable how much patience is required.Thought you may get a laugh outta this.

Click here to enlarge
    Hey Bagger, That is like a twilight zone episode. I was just getting ready to post that exact same pic on here!!
    Click here to enlarge ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!

09 Ultra - Black Pearl - PCV - SEAC - RUSH 4" Big Louie's (Sold)

American Dogs - Vivid Black & Mellow Yellow (GBNF)
    PLEASE SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL ANIMAL SHELTER!

JOIN A.B.A.T.E. - "THE RIGHTS YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN!"

Bike
    08 Streetglide
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Clint Click here to enlarge
    Hey Bagger, That is like a twilight zone episode. I was just getting ready to post that exact same pic on here!!
    Gotta stash those good pics when you find them.
    Click here to enlarge
    08 streetglide, 96 springer softail

HPR: I always wished I could do wood work as I appreciate good quality. I have a friend back home that got into that and loves it. I am envious. Unfortunalely, I have always been way better at tearing things apart then putting them together.... LOL! Good for you!
    You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him. ~James D. Miles

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters. ~Alan Simpson

Bike
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bagger Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    That is a GREAT bike! I would give him 100 points just for creativity. I am not really computer savvy and am going to ask my son to show me how to set up photo bucket or can I just up load from I Photo? I have a lot of pictures that I would like to share. I don't need another project but can you imagine that bike being built from laminated hard wood. Makes me want to rip a bunch of 1/8" strips and then form them over curved forms to build a cool one off. So many ideas so little time.

Bike
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Clint Click here to enlarge
    Hey HPR,

Great post. The whole woodworking and fabrication talent is something that I seriouisly envy. I mean, how cool is that to be able to think of something and then just make it!!

I for one would love to see some pics of your work, including that kick-ass hydro! 70 MPH on the water and that close to the water must feel like 140.
    When I figure out the procedure to post pictures I'll do it. I know there are directions on site, will study and follow up. Funny as I get older I don't run so much at full throttle any more. Must be something about wanting to live as long as possible. I did a 180 back flip in another boat and it happens so fast you can't believe it. Lucky to be able to swim away from the kindling that was left.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast