HarleyTalking
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 5 6 LastLast

Bike
    2007 Dyna Street Bob
    Clutch is the man when it comes to welders, he and a guy I know on another forum named Bubbie. From what I can remember on it, you can do with a Mig but just not quite a clean and easy as Tig. They are both gas shielded but use different gas and the fill material is supplied differently. Always enjoy reading welding stuff. I'm just a welder wanna be.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by smitty901 Click here to enlarge
    I am noticing a bit of low end torque loss.
    This is not really a loss but a movement in power band HP virus Torque.
    The stock pipes flow pretty free with CATS out .
    I will work on getting it where I want it by either tune or changing pipes when I have time runs great so far
    Smitty I surmise your trip to TN did not allow you any time to fool with the tuner. When you do get around to it let me know if you have any luck gettin that low end back just by adjusting your tuner. More air flow now with the cat gone would seem needs a bit more fuel. Seems simple to an old guy like me that use to just drill out the metering jets years ago when I was a teenager.

But maybe it's not that simple. I've read a lot of different summations on this and I still have not been able to decipher anything real definitive to my own self. I know guys that have the 2 into 1 setups and they verify that the extra backpressure helps the low end and hurts the top end (to small degrees on each end). But is it really the backpressure of maybe just the fuel and timing at that rpm that is affected by the increased air flow. And sometimes the issue might be getting the mix right (different) at both ends of the rpm specturm. I don't know, I've read both sides (by educated engineers) that swear by their theories.

Would be interestin to hear how you come out with it though.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." ~Martin Luther King Jr.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."~Einstein
    "It does not matter where you came from, it only matters where you are going." ~ Condoleeza Rice

As a supplement to Waynes thread, I thought I might add that some folks with 2010 an up bikes are now doing this without removing the headers. Some are just removing the heatshields, dremeling out the plate, gutting the CAT and then welding the plate back..... all while everything is on the bike.

These pics and idea are definitely not mine.... (Totally stolen from the internet).

The folks doing this are talking about using heavy duty tin foil to protect everthing behind the pipe while doing the weld.... and then towels or blankets to protect everyting else They are also discussing that the negative battery cable MUST be disconnected during the weld process.

Maybe if we have any welders here, they can chime in on the positives or negatives of this idea.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!

09 Ultra - Black Pearl - PCV - SEAC - RUSH 4" Big Louie's

American Dogs - Vivid Black & Mellow Yellow
    PLEASE SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL ANIMAL SHELTER!

JOIN A.B.A.T.E. - "THE RIGHTS YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN!"

Bike
    2009 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic, 2007 FXDB Street Bob, 2004 BMW K1200GT, 2003 XLH883 Sportster
    looks reasonable (I said "looks"....), anxious to hear replys!

just another reason to keep my '09 forever
    Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose!

Bike
    2012 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic
    OK, I'll bite. Curious to know what all this does to improve performance. Not being a wise guy, just don't know these things.
    Click here to enlarge
    Free on Three
    Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

Bike
    2012 Street Glide
    IMHO....the biggest thing I noticed is the bike runs a lot cooler. I can sit at a red light and not burn a leg off....lol I punched out the baffel at the same time. I lost some bottom end but this thing sure lights up around 3.5 to 4 grand. Gas milage stayed the same. Can't wait to get some pipes on her to see what she is going to do.
    Click here to enlarge Just Believe Click here to enlarge
    God will do the rest.

Asteroids Champion!
    Bike
    2010 Ultra
    Same here, for me cooling it down was the main reason for getting rid of the cat. However, I opted for replacing the pipes (V&H dresser duals and monster ovals), so I still have my stock pipes with the cat sitting in the garage Click here to enlarge
    ~RumRunner

2010 Ultra - Vivid Black; Stage III 103"; SE259e Cams; SERT; Dresser Duals; 4" Rineharts Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Bike
    2013 Ultra Limited
    Has anyone tried to sell the catalyst core to a recycling place? We have a guy that comes by once a yr to buy the ones we take off cars, some have a high value, these look like about 1/3 the size of some we take off for replacement.
    Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

I have just finished gutting the cat on my 2012 Glide and I also fitted a Screaming Eagle high flow air cleaner and a set of Wild Pigs Mufflers at the same time.

Gutting the Catalytic Converter is a pain and it takes a few hours.

My initial ride around the block doesn't prove anything apart from noticing the sound from the mufflers which is nice and deep but louder than the V&H Monster Ovals on my 2008 Glide.

It is summer here and a few rides on some hot days will soon prove if the exhaust runs cooler - the standard exhaust is definitely hotter than my 2008 Glide.

I will report back in a few months to let you know my observations reference the heat and fuel economy changes.

GB

If I cut out my cat 2013 wide glide can I just weld in straight pipe between the pieces where the cat was?

Bike
    2013 RGU RED and 96 FB Black
    R_W_B on the 2013 I have a Fuel moto jackpot 2-1-2 header the torque is out standing.
    On the trip the map I had gotten from Jamie at Fuel moto did an outstanding job for me.
    Plenty of power and Torque 48.6 mpg in the flat land and normal speeds.
    Once we hit the hills and Mountains with all kinds of different driving condition, and Higher speeds coming back over all for 3000 miles 46.5 mpg.
    I am sure I will play with it some more this summer.
    The gutted headers I had on the 2011 went to the scrape yard with the rest of the bike.
    The infantry leads the wayClick here to enlarge

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 5 6 LastLast