HarleyTalking
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    The easiest thing to do is just weld back in the piece that you took out to remove the cat material.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
    Wayne
    Past Master 1995
    Old Fort Lodge 420
    Summerville, SC

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most" Click here to enlarge

Sometimes it takes a full tank of gas before you can think straight.Click here to enlarge

2010 Ultra Classic - Flame Blue pearl & Brilliant Silver Pearl

Thanks for the info.I'm going to gut my cat on my 2013 ultra limited.Anything else I should know?

Bike
    2010 Ultra Classic, 2003 Sportster Sport
    Farmer,
    Don't let the pics fool you, that cat material is really hard to get out. I was able to make the window cut pretty easy, but, separating it was interesting. I had to use a pneumatic chisel to get the cat out of the pipe. I also see the benefit to doing on the bike, less chance of warping the pipe. I had a buddy big mine back together and it was warped. Had to take it to an exhaust shop and have them straighten it out.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BBStacker Click here to enlarge
    Farmer,
    Don't let the pics fool you, that cat material is really hard to get out. I was able to make the window cut pretty easy, but, separating it was interesting. I had to use a pneumatic chisel to get the cat out of the pipe. I also see the benefit to doing on the bike, less chance of warping the pipe. I had a buddy big mine back together and it was warped. Had to take it to an exhaust shop and have them straighten it out.

The cat material is hard, but I just used a chisel and a hammer to take it out in pieces. Make sure you are wearing gloves when you do this too, the edges are really sharp. Also, if you cut out just the "window" to remove the cat, there shouldn't be any problem with warping, either on the bike or off. It's is alot easier if you take it off!!
    Wayne
    Past Master 1995
    Old Fort Lodge 420
    Summerville, SC

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most" Click here to enlarge

Sometimes it takes a full tank of gas before you can think straight.Click here to enlarge

2010 Ultra Classic - Flame Blue pearl & Brilliant Silver Pearl

Bike
    09 ultra black
    Wonder what the material is ,,??
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    92 heritage and 12 streetglide
    drilling it out is much easier, 1 inch x 16 inch paddle bit about $10 at the hardware store. take the pipe off and put it in a vise,use a good drill, takes about an hour. put a vacuum on one end of pipe so you don't breath the dust.

Bike
    2017 RGU Blackhills gold and black-96 FB Black with sidecar
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hardheaded Click here to enlarge
    drilling it out is much easier, 1 inch x 16 inch paddle bit about $10 at the hardware store. take the pipe off and put it in a vise,use a good drill, takes about an hour. put a vacuum on one end of pipe so you don't breath the dust.
    Problem with that you only get a hole through part of it .The CAT fills that entire area.
    This not not my picture but shows the size better than my shot.
    Knowing what I do now going with the Fuel moto 2-1-2 header I would not even mess with de-cating again

Click here to enlarge
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Bike
    you can get all the cat outwith the drilling method. done it many times and just used a pry bar to scrape the little bit left in there. used a dental mirror to make sure it's clean. just as clean as cutting the window in. i took it off the bike and removed the 02 sensors and it was clean.

Bike
    2017 RGU Blackhills gold and black-96 FB Black with sidecar
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hardheaded Click here to enlarge
    you can get all the cat outwith the drilling method. done it many times and just used a pry bar to scrape the little bit left in there. used a dental mirror to make sure it's clean. just as clean as cutting the window in. i took it off the bike and removed the 02 sensors and it was clean.
    Winter project I have a couple headers hanging on the wall , However I do not ever plan on installing it.
    The 2-1-2 worked out so much better.
    Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

Bike
    use a good strong drill and hang onto it when drilling. take your time going slow and once you get threw you can start running it in and out pretty good kind of wallowing it out. if you really want it clean use a sanding flap wheel when done on an extension. oh yea, i put my shop vac on the header end of the pipe so i would not be breathing that heavy metal dust, really bad for you. good luck with your project!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456