HarleyTalking
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bike
    '09 Sportster
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RumRunner Click here to enlarge
    Wow, and at only 1 year that is bad. I actually never had the urge to use the wrap because I don't like the way it looks, but have heard of a lot of people that have because it's cheaper than changing pipes and mixtures to get rid of heat. Glad I didn't give it a try at any point.... Guess I just can't bring myself to cover up anything chrome Click here to enlarge
    Got to agree with RumRunner on this ..... just can't see covering up chrome!!!

First thought when I saw the picks was holyshit!! Yeah I'll never do it 'cos I don't like the look but now this just reinforces that!! Glad you stuck to your guns and got them to replace them.
    Click here to enlarge

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

PROUD MILITARY MOM. Air Force son, Navy Daughter, Marine Daughter, Army son, Marine son-in-law.

Bike
    1999 FLHTCUI "Beula Mae"
    The true purpose of the wrap is the same as ceramic coating. The idea is to keep the heat in the pipe so that the exhaust velocity remains high (especially helpful in turbo applications).

My Supertrapp has been wrapped for 3 years and many thousands of miles now and it's perfectly fine. It was ceramic coated inside and out to begin with and it's only wrapped from the heads down to the collector, in an effort to help keep some of the heat off of my leg. It works well and you'd never know that it's wrapped as I put the heat shields back on over the wrap. I suspect that the original ceramic coating has a lot to do with the longevity of the pipe. I personally would do it again in the same circumstances.
    Put an absolute END to the mess when changing your oil filter!
    We offer the membership here substantial discounts on all of our products. You can check them out on our website but if you're interested in buying, don't do it there. Send me a PM or an email instead so that I can make sure you get the proper pricing. Thanks!

Bike
    1999 HD Springer Soft Tail (FXSTS)
    Thanks, Hob, I have a extra pair of pipes that has some small damage done on the end, was going to cut them, maybe an inch off, and than wrap them. Glad you posted this, now I know I won't use it, maybe just cut the pipes, sand blast and than have them flat painted.
    Eat, Drink, and Be Merry, and ride like the Devil is chasing you :smiley_beer1:Click here to enlarge

Bike
    Procharged '05 Fatty, '12 Road Glide
    The failure of the set of V & H short shot staggereds, was probably because they were wrapped over the heat shields. If I was after the wrapped style, I'd be removing the heat shields, or using pipes specifically designed for it. On the right bike, they look good, and there is a performance aspect to it too-keeping the heat in the pipe. I guess it depends if you wrapped them for looks, or performance. If it was for looks, take the heat shields off, and leave them off. If for performance, do the same-and maybe refit the heat shields over the top. Good on you for getting V & H to replace the pipes.
    Cheers Mike
    NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH CHROME!

Bike
    2012 Dyna Switchback and 86' FJ1200
    DOC i did similar with a set of Drags on a Virgao yrs before and the same/similar happened although the pipe didnt break it went very plastic Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    IBA MEMBER 40172
    SYLO SYLBP

I'm walking with Sophie tonight, She lives in the air that I breathe;
    I can't get it out of my mind, How you were left to bleed...
    Was it how you dressed?
    Or how you act?
    I can't believe, How they could act so violently,
    Without regret, , Well, we will not forget...

We are the others, We are the cast outs,
    We're the outsiders, But you can't hide us,
    We are the others, We are the cast outs
    You're no longer on your own, If you feel mistreated, Torn and cheated,
    You're not alone, We are the others

Bike
    2008 fatboy originally a 1590, 2009 Iron, originally an 883
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DOC58 Click here to enlarge
    The failure of the set of V & H short shot staggereds, was probably because they were wrapped over the heat shields. If I was after the wrapped style, I'd be removing the heat shields, or using pipes specifically designed for it. On the right bike, they look good, and there is a performance aspect to it too-keeping the heat in the pipe. I guess it depends if you wrapped them for looks, or performance. If it was for looks, take the heat shields off, and leave them off. If for performance, do the same-and maybe refit the heat shields over the top. Good on you for getting V & H to replace the pipes.
    Cheers Mike
    Doc and Rob ... I'm interested in more detail in the over heat shield under heat shield comment. I am onto my second pair of V&H RSD trackers on the sporty. The first discoloured immediately and the dealer got a replacement set straight away. The second have had the clips break and the heat is quite strong (they are basically a bare pipe with 6 inch x 2 inch of flash chrome). I was thinking, wrap them to lower heat and avoid the discoloured look (SEPST or whatever tuner well tuned and exhaust extended to clear rear suspension). Comments?
    An intellectual dwarf

I live in my own world because its more than comfortable and all the voices are friendly

Bike
    newest 2010 fxdwg 109 hp 105 tq. need more !
    i thought u were suppose to wrap over the pipes . not over the shields 1st then the pipes !

Bike
    2012 Dyna Switchback and 86' FJ1200
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by crazyhorse223 Click here to enlarge
    i thought u were suppose to wrap over the pipes . not over the shields 1st then the pipes !
    doesnt matter if you do pipes or pipes and shields the result is very similar - the pipes still over heats and plastises and eventually delaminates and fails, on chops not ridden for far or very often or race engines its fine but on a motor that goes thru constant heat cycles and water/rain and salt the wrap just speeds up the natural degrdation of the pipe

i have doen the wrapping both ways - i was wary of doing it over the shields after the previous attempt but figured i might get a small amoount of air flow between the shield and pipe but nope Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    IBA MEMBER 40172
    SYLO SYLBP

I'm walking with Sophie tonight, She lives in the air that I breathe;
    I can't get it out of my mind, How you were left to bleed...
    Was it how you dressed?
    Or how you act?
    I can't believe, How they could act so violently,
    Without regret, , Well, we will not forget...

We are the others, We are the cast outs,
    We're the outsiders, But you can't hide us,
    We are the others, We are the cast outs
    You're no longer on your own, If you feel mistreated, Torn and cheated,
    You're not alone, We are the others

Bike
    2009 fat boy special denim black
    Great post Rob,im sure its made a few re-think this idea as it could be costly....Click here to enlarge

Bike
    newest 2010 fxdwg 109 hp 105 tq. need more !
    i called v&h they said the air gap between the pipes and shields were the problem. they suggested the correct way was wrap first an then the shields , just sayin !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast