HarleyTalking
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bike
    Procharged '05 Fatty, '12 Road Glide
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Hobbit Click here to enlarge
    doesnt matter if you do pipes or pipes and shields the result is very similar - the pipes still over heats and plastises and eventually delaminates and fails, on chops not ridden for far or very often or race engines its fine but on a motor that goes thru constant heat cycles and water/rain and salt the wrap just speeds up the natural degrdation of the pipe

i have doen the wrapping both ways - i was wary of doing it over the shields after the previous attempt but figured i might get a small amoount of air flow between the shield and pipe but nope Click here to enlarge
    Good one Hobbit. Guess you can't beat real world experience verses theory!
    NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH CHROME!

Moderator / Sergeant at Arms clutchglass's Avatar

Bike
    2015 FLHX Streetglide Special
    Buddy....your pain is my education. I was actually considering this. Thanks Hobbit
    -clutch-
    "The enemy has us surrounded again...those poor bastards!" -Gen Creighton Abrams-

Bike
    2012 Dyna Switchback and 86' FJ1200
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by crazyhorse223 Click here to enlarge
    i called v&h they said the air gap between the pipes and shields were the problem. they suggested the correct way was wrap first an then the shields , just sayin !
    when i spoke to them regarding warranty and the failure of the pipe they were all happy to do it until i told them it was wrapped - they then got shirty and said the pipes were not meant to be wrapped and wrapping them would cause failure of the pipe and was classed as miss use - yes there race only can be wrapped but street systems - nope.
    also this is over on RB racings website and these guys really know motors
    also Vance and hines state not to use any form of clean er on the black pipes as it causes them to fail !!!!! - i have that i writing

Vance and Hines Warranty
    All of our exhaust systems are warranted against defects in material and/or workmanship for a period of 90 days. This does not cover finishes such as plating, or painted surfaces with discoloration or rust. This warranty shall be limited to the repair or replacement of the system, which may be proven defective under normal use. We will not warranty any system that has been abused, misused, improperly installed, or modified.

Dealers or distributors are not authorized to make dispositions binding upon Vance & Hines. We will not be responsible for any labor charges incurred in removing or replacing any system under warranty. All returns must be accompanied by a return authorization number and a copy of the purchase invoice. Parts being returned without a return authorization may be refused at our receiving docks.

the warranty used to be for longer !!!
    Click here to enlarge
    IBA MEMBER 40172
    SYLO SYLBP

I'm walking with Sophie tonight, She lives in the air that I breathe;
    I can't get it out of my mind, How you were left to bleed...
    Was it how you dressed?
    Or how you act?
    I can't believe, How they could act so violently,
    Without regret, , Well, we will not forget...

We are the others, We are the cast outs,
    We're the outsiders, But you can't hide us,
    We are the others, We are the cast outs
    You're no longer on your own, If you feel mistreated, Torn and cheated,
    You're not alone, We are the others

Bike
    2012 Dyna Switchback and 86' FJ1200
    Taken from RB racings website under LSR 2-1 exhausts - pics dont copy so here is the link

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/lsr21/dynafxr.html

just look for the below title about 1/2 way down

King Tut seeks Cleopatra
    The 2006 Street Bob with it's Hot Rod primer look is really a popular item these days. Here's one of our ceramic coated LSR 2-1 Turn Outs wrapped in thermal tape. A bit strange in that the God of Chrome will be highly offended but, what the hell, it's in keeping with the bike's theme. Ape Hangers are also back but this gets sort of expensive as there are all sorts of cables these days. Open your wallet wide if Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper is your style.
    We would like to caution you that wrapping the pipes will eventually cause a failure of the base metal as the heat is not dissipated. Think 1450 Deg F, cherry red, plastic metal. Sooner or later.

More Egyptology
    Customer writes: "Hello folks! just wanted to let you guys/gals know I'm very pleased w/my purchase of my RB Racing l.s.r's... pipe fits great, looks great, sounds great and performs great! Well worth the wait! Also I'm including a picture of my '06 dyna street-bob w/ the l.s.r's installed...I know you probably won't like the fact that I wrapped them... but they get comments EVERYWHERE I go! Thanks again for such a great product!" 00-1316 LSR 2-1 Turn Out, Rotated 45 degrees. Ape hangers are back.

We would like to caution you that wrapping the pipes will eventually cause a failure of the base metal as the heat is not dissipated. Think 1450 Deg F, cherry red, plastic metal. Sooner or later.

Automotive header manufacturers void all waranties on mild steel and stainless systems if Thermal Wrap or Nitrous Oxide is used, as both cause elevated temperatures that cause cracking. In race applications it is used but everything is expendable in racing.

the pictures on their site say it all and these are pipes WRAPPED directly to the metal as LSR pipes do not have shields even the Ceramic coated pipes will fail
    Click here to enlarge
    IBA MEMBER 40172
    SYLO SYLBP

I'm walking with Sophie tonight, She lives in the air that I breathe;
    I can't get it out of my mind, How you were left to bleed...
    Was it how you dressed?
    Or how you act?
    I can't believe, How they could act so violently,
    Without regret, , Well, we will not forget...

We are the others, We are the cast outs,
    We're the outsiders, But you can't hide us,
    We are the others, We are the cast outs
    You're no longer on your own, If you feel mistreated, Torn and cheated,
    You're not alone, We are the others

Moon Lander Champion!
    Bike
    07 FLHTCI, 06 VRSCD, 06 Dyna WG
    LOL them RB boyz do have an attitude... Gotta be careful on some of their stuff, it ain't what they say it is Click here to enlarge...
    [CENTER][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][COLOR=wheat][SIZE=3][COLOR=yellow]````[FONT=Impact]I[SIZE=3] Wis[SIZE=3]h I Were Riding[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT] :ridesafe:````[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorange][URL="http://www.specialtschools.com"][/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

Bike
    1978 Honda 50 Express
    I'll see how long these new pipes last with the wrap. Maybe next go around I will try the thermal coating instead...worked great on the headers of my '69 Z-28.

Click here to enlarge

Moon Lander Champion!
    Bike
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HandOverFist Click here to enlarge
    I'll see how long these new pipes last with the wrap. Maybe next go around I will try the thermal coating instead...worked great on the headers of my '69 Z-28.

Click here to enlarge
    I like what you've done bro.... You have one sweet shovel and the wrap gives it that old school look Click here to enlarge Nice work bro, very nice...
    [CENTER][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][COLOR=wheat][SIZE=3][COLOR=yellow]````[FONT=Impact]I[SIZE=3] Wis[SIZE=3]h I Were Riding[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT] :ridesafe:````[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorange][URL="http://www.specialtschools.com"][/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Bike
    1978 Honda 50 Express
    New tin on the way and I will be including the AMF badges.

Moon Lander Champion!
    Bike
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HandOverFist Click here to enlarge
    New tin on the way and I will be including the AMF badges.
    Oh my god, not the AMF badges, that's going too far Click here to enlarge j/k You're my kinda wrench, you do clean work bro...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123