HarleyTalking
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Bike
    08 Streetglide

SE Compensator Upgrade

A cure for the 07 and up models expieriencing starter nock is the Screaming Eagle compensator upgrade.Some have even gone so far as to say they felt it increased overall performance.The knock on the stock compensator is this:

Primary Drive / Starter Noise Complaints
    Several dealers and customers have commented about a “clunking” noise coming from the primary housing during start up. Most dealers suspect a loose compensator because the noise seems to come from the front of the housing. Customers tend to associate it with a starter issue like improper starter drive engagement into the clutch’s ring gear. In fact the condition they are noticing is what is referred to as “Starter Knock”. This is a normal sound and condition for all 2007 Twin Cam models.
    Changes in the primary drive system increased the diameter and inertial effects of the rotating components (clutch and sprocket assembly, ring gear, and engine sprocket). Also, the engine control system is calibrated to start the engine as quickly as possible (short crank to run times) and to run up to the predetermined engine idle speed as quickly as possible to provide very positive starting.
    Because the engine fires and then runs up to speed very quickly, there is a large torque input and instantaneous speed differential between the engine and spring loaded compensator mounted between the engine and the driveline. The compensator is there to dampen the high torque spikes inherent in a large displacement V-Twin.
    Because of the increased inertia in the rotating components in the driveline, their rotational speed cannot increase as fast as the engine, so the springs in the compensator momentarily bottom and results in the sound that you hear.
    The same sound exists in the 2006 Dyna models, but to a lesser extent. The increase in displacement to 1584cc increased the torque spike and speed differential in the 2007’s and causes the sound to be more noticeable. There is no damage associated with the compensator bottoming.

Here's the SE compensator

Click here to enlarge

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...5&default=none
    Click here to enlarge
    08 streetglide, 96 springer softail

Bike
    09 ultra black
    I like mine '';';
    From a WW1 RAF Flight Manual ...
    "If a crash at the home airfield is inevitable, try to hit something soft and, preferably, inexpensive"

What a bliss to fight your inner conflicts and wake up with a chaos filled mind. And above all else the streak of sarcasm that wouldn't leave your side
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m6ly...e_gdata_player
    To our Soldiers, past an present, Thank You an God bless you....... Click here to enlarge...LORD I live by your Will. I shall die when you desire; Save me because you can..." "Never was fount so clear,
    undimmed and bright;
    From it alone, I know proceeds all light
    although 'tis night. .St John of the CROSS.."
    Let me get through today, and I shall not fear tomorrow." ST. Philip Neri.!! **
    May I be "the least in the household of God."...

Bike
    2009 Deluxe. Riding for 50 years. First Harley, love it!
    Is this an upgrade that all should do or is it ok to wait until it needs to be replaced. I have the loud clunk but that is normal apparently. No problems with my 09 Deluxe, of course I only have 8k on it.

Bike
    08 Streetglide
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Harleypr Click here to enlarge
    Is this an upgrade that all should do or is it ok to wait until it needs to be replaced. I have the loud clunk but that is normal apparently. No problems with my 09 Deluxe, of course I only have 8k on it.
    Id call this a good outta warenty upgrade.
    Click here to enlarge
    08 streetglide, 96 springer softail

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ultrat Click here to enlarge
    I like mine '';';
    Hey Tom, I just ordered my SECOmpensator upgrade from LSHD and will be installing as soon as it gets here. Just a few questions..

1. About how many miles when you did the upgrade?

2. Did you have any issues removing the OEM stator housing? I've heard that others are having to slightly grind off a bit of the inner primary lip or possibly loosen the inner primary bolts just enough to get the room?

3. Did you replace the tensioner or did it look OK?

Thanks!
    Click here to enlarge ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!

09 Ultra - Black Pearl - PCV - SEAC - RUSH 4" Big Louie's

American Dogs - Vivid Black & Mellow Yellow
    PLEASE SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL ANIMAL SHELTER!

JOIN A.B.A.T.E. - "THE RIGHTS YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN!"

Bike
    09 ultra black
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Clint Click here to enlarge
    Hey Tom, I just ordered my SECOmpensator upgrade from LSHD and will be installing as soon as it gets here. Just a few questions..

1. About how many miles when you did the upgrade?

2. Did you have any issues removing the OEM stator housing? I've heard that others are having to slightly grind off a bit of the inner primary lip or possibly loosen the inner primary bolts just enough to get the room?

3. Did you replace the tensioner or did it look OK?

Thanks!
    Well got bike last aug did in dec./ jan in there 5 k id say . 2 . a little grinding at 5 oclock area youll see a ridge ,as i understand 10 & up not as much grinding. Tensioner looked great its the auto style just wire it up or zip strip & un bolt. some folks have not removed the clutch I did, left hand nut. watch how u install springs look like big washers 2 sets if i remember + one 1/2...[] [] [ like this but check instructions.. any help just ask here or in mail or if u want call me...';';';' have fun..';';;' good luck ';';';
    "If a crash at the home airfield is inevitable, try to hit something soft and, preferably, inexpensive"

What a bliss to fight your inner conflicts and wake up with a chaos filled mind. And above all else the streak of sarcasm that wouldn't leave your side
    To our Soldiers, past an present, Thank You an God bless you....... Click here to enlarge...LORD I live by your Will. I shall die when you desire; Save me because you can..." "Never was fount so clear,
    undimmed and bright;

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ultrat Click here to enlarge
    Well got bike last aug did in dec./ jan in there 5 k id say . 2 . a little grinding at 5 oclock area youll see a ridge ,as i understand 10 & up not as much grinding. Tensioner looked great its the auto style just wire it up or zip strip & un bolt. some folks have not removed the clutch I did, left hand nut. watch how u install springs look like big washers 2 sets if i remember + one 1/2...[] [] [ like this but check instructions.. any help just ask here or in mail or if u want call me...';';';' have fun..';';;' good luck ';';';
    Hey, thanks for the tips!!! Sounds like the tiny bit of grinding on the lip will be easier than loosening the inner primary bolts and disturbing the gasket.

Yeah, looks to me like the comp can be replaced without pulling the clutch once you disengage the tensioner, BUT..... since I'm also upgrading to the SE255 cams, I'm going to go ahead and install the 98A clutch spring while I'm in there, so off it comes.

One more quick question.... Did you buy the HD sprocket locking tool or fab one up from flat bar stock? If you did fab one, do these dimensions sound right......... 1.5" wide X 1/4" thick X 5.875 Long?

Thanks!!
    Click here to enlarge ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!

09 Ultra - Black Pearl - PCV - SEAC - RUSH 4" Big Louie's

American Dogs - Vivid Black & Mellow Yellow
    PLEASE SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL ANIMAL SHELTER!

JOIN A.B.A.T.E. - "THE RIGHTS YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN!"

Bike
    09 ultra black
    made locking tool oh im cheep, out of stiff plastic cutting board ,plastic seamed easier on sprocket teeth. doubled up, 2 bolts holding them together. size is 6in x 2 in..;'; your size may work to i just measured & made,,;';' let me know how the 255s feel seat of pants. ..
    Last edited by ultrat; 09-29-2010 at 08:36 PM.

undimmed and bright;

Bike
    FLHTK, FLSTF
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Harleypr Click here to enlarge
    Why wait? YES - just do it!

Bike
    2010 Ultra Limited
    Thanks for the info.
    2010 Ultra Limited Merlot/Cherry Red

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast